• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Fall Of Macs=Microsoft Users

J

Jefe3223

So, being on a college campus is nice. Walking about you see tons of people with music players. Of course everytime I see the white cord of ipod headphones, it makes me smile (and trust me I see a lot of them). But since microsoft users have seen how great they are, I've noticed a slight shift. This is what I mean: advertising on the tv is one thing, but i walked into one of my giant classes and the room is littered with leaflets. Wha!!! There are tons of peices of paper advertising the ipod hp, all over the floors, the halls, etc. This was a waste of paper, an insult the the greatness that is mac users (for stooping to this level), and just plain annoying. I tried to figure out what group had done this. I never was able to...but either way, I never noticed this when it was just us mac users.

*Now this is not to be taken as I don't want people to convert or that I dislike agressive advertising; I'm just making a point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
i could careless if people convert ;)

OP
M

maislin88

yeah i agree. the more people using ipods the better. now online for ipod video.

OP
D

Desolate One

Hp is now selling the iPod, so what? Isn't this better for Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Hmmm, I'm a recent switcher so maybe I don't know much about apple's products, but I see a pretty sweet advantage of this (intended or not.) You see, get people weened on iPod (regardless of OS compatibility, in other words, let them use them on their windoze machines,) and keep introducing new iPods/models and then eventually drop the windows products--but ONLY when you introduce such a product that people WILL switch for. Maybe that would work, maybe (probably) it wouldn't, but if people didn't switch to Mac after seeing how awesome the iPod was, I just don't think they will. However, give those people a reason to switch, and BAM!!! If no one switches, big deal, if they do, great. Apple has survived as a niche-market for years, they obviously don't have to be "competitive" with m$. After thinkin about it, this was probably Apple's idea all along. The sheer number of windows users is a hot-bed for success. I'm an idiot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Desolate One said:
Hp is now selling the iPod, so what? Isn't this better for Apple?
It is better for apple and not better for apple at the same time, since HP is putting their name on it as well, people start to think that HP has something to do with the product, and HP is also taking some of the profit from the sales of the HP version. But then again it gets people to get their heads out of a cave and start to atleast look at apple products. So I guess its good and bad for apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Living in the US it's easy to forget that it's pretty hard to find certain products in other countries. That was the most important part of the deal as i remeber. I'm from Lima, Peru and even if its true you can find anything there it is hard to find authorized stores for many companies (incluiding Apple). On the other hand HP has offices and stores in many more contries.
True: Apple doesn't share HP's marketing techniches
True: The intention of any companie is to achieve succes.
I won't really worry about some leaflets on the floor, it is not as elegant as an iPod ad, but it has its lvl of success.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.