Image resizing

Reaction score
Im looking for an application that would help me resize images without loosing much quality. Please mention anything in regard to the topic sites;programs; suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The application won't have as much effect on the image quality as you might think.
What will have an immense impact are two things:
1. the quality of the image before any resizing
2. what size you plan on resizing the image to

If you start with a low-quality image and then blow it up to 5 times the size, you're going to get even lowered image quality... no matter what software you use.
Sure, you can try to tweak things (the old sharpen/blur, sharpen/blur... etc) but you will still end up with a poor quality image if you enlarge an image past a certain point.

Even with medium to high quality resolution/dpi images, you will still encounter quality loss if the image is enlarged too much.

The same goes for any bitmap image (.jpg, .tiff, .png, .gif....etc)

My advice would be always start with the absolute best quality image resolution. Do as little resizing as possible, just start with the image as close to the size that you need from the beginning.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could try gimp?

Reaction score
You can resize an image using preview; don't know how well it does it though. Tools>Adjust Size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
The performance of any given resizer can be significantly affected by both the image content and the type of resizing (direction and degree). There are a number of different algorithms available for resizing (nearest pixel, bilinear, bicubic, etc.), each of which may perform better or worse based upon those variables. That's why imaging software such as Photoshop provides several algorithm options for image resizing, so that you can experiment with them and choose the method that works best for your particular needs. (I don't know what sort of algorithms come with Gimp, as I don't use it.)

Preview has both a nearest pixel algorithm (the default) and what appears to be sort of a bilinear algorithm (the "resample image" checkbox). But the latter produces fuzzier results and seems to lose more information than Photoshop's implementation of bilinear, especially on text or other finely detailed elements, so I'm not sure what they are actually using.

Preview might be enough for your needs; at least try it and see if you are happy with the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.