Powerbook G4 10.4.11/drive error question.

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help with this. I thought a wierd sound came from my powerbook -- like a cry for help -- so I ran the tech tool deluxe software. The scans showed a failed test on the volume structure. Techtool deluxe recommended that I dowload the diagnostic and repair from apple but my apple care has just run out.

I have backed up my important files but not the whole drive. Can anyone here give me some nuts/bolts ideas of what to do with this situation. Should I back up the entire drive and reformat? Whats the best way to go about this. I can post more logs if necessary.

Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/BasicTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/VolumeManagerDeluxeTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/ProcessorTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/MainMemoryTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/VideoMemoryTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/UniversalSerialBusTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/SMARTTestsTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/SurfaceScanTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/ReadWriteTestsTool
Jan 6 22:52:34 gabes authexec: executing /Applications/TechTool Deluxe.app/Contents/PlugIns/VolumeStructuresDeluxeTool
# ReadRawBlock attempt to read 16777216 bytes at offset 1280315392 failed with Input/output error
# ReadRawBlock CANNOT READ: blockNumber 2500616, numBlocks: 32768, errno: 5, Input/output error
# ReadRawBlock attempt to read 16777216 bytes at offset 1280315392 failed with Input/output error
# ReadRawBlock CANNOT READ: blockNumber 2500616, numBlocks: 32768, errno: 5, Input/output error
2009-01-06 22:55:12.424 TechTool Deluxe[203] TechTool Deluxe Volume Structure Error: -4,

When I verify the disk in utility this is what I get.

Verifying volume “compubot”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
The volume compubot needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I also get a similar response when I use the disk utility from the osx start-up disk.

OP
S
Reaction score
does anyone have any ideas about this -- the computer is working fine for now.

Is there a recommended service or repair provider to contact for help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.