5.1 Speakers aren't working on my macbook

Reaction score
Hey, I've seen a few threads similar to this, but all seem to be unanswered, or the problem is slightly different to mine. I have a few problems which I will list now and any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Basically I have a macbook, and have recently purchased the Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers. The first problem that I encountered was that through iTunes, the sound was only being sent through the front two speakers and the sub. I read online a guide on how to set my macbook to 5.1 through Audio MIDI Setup, however I was unable to select the 5.1 setting because my macbook wasn't supporting 6 channels. I thought that the problem may be due to not having a suitable sound card.

I checked back on the amazon page that I purchased the speakers from and it stated that a requirement for mac's is a sound card with atleast 6 channels. If I buy an external sound card with 6 channels, will I be able to listen to iTunes music through my 5 speakers and the sub? Is there a specific external sound card that anyone suggests I get for my mac? Can I get it to work without the purchasing of a sound card? Can I do this without having to purchase different cables.

If you need me to elaborate my problem any further then simply request and I will be happy to speak over an IM so you could help me quicker.

Thanks

James

Email: [email protected]

Feel free to email me if you think you can help me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read through this thread which was posted in another Mac forum. Follow the suggested link and see if that helps you to get your 5.1 system up and running.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi James,

After looking at the product 'Firewire' shown in the thread chscag suggested, I totally agree that will work. It looks as if it just takes the Stereo output and upscales it to 5.1 via Dolby Virtual Surround. However, I'd assume a Dolby Digital DVD will play back in full 5.1 surround as intended (ie. not upscaling).

If you don't watch DVDs often on the Mac though, you'd probably be just as well using the Matrix button on the bottom right of the Z51s control pod - yep I read a review of 'em! This will essentially turn the stereo output of any application into full 5.1. This option is also free which is good so you could try it first to see what you think of it. :D

If you need further explanation on the above just let me know and let me know how you get on. :)

Kind regards,

Marty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You MacBook supports 5.1, but it needs to be optical, no analog cables. Your other option would be to get a Griffin Firewave, although it is currently discontinued, so it may be a little hard to find.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here also is a great little post with a couple of links on getting 5.1 output from your Mac. Great site for HTPC info also.

You also have to realize, the Mac will only output 5.1 channels when playing a 5.1 source. It does not have Dolby ProLogic II, DTS, etc. built in that can synthesize 5.1 from a 2 channel source. That, you will have to do at your external receiver or speakers if they have that ability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.