This Is Insane lol

Reaction score
Right So I'm 18, Really Into My Digital Arts, Graphics, Photography and everything and i just bought a new macbook....

So basically, i've been a windows User Since I Can Remember And Well i'm completely new to this system, i can get around and everything but well i need some tips, like what file extensions can i use or not use etc. just general basics.

thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's pretty easy to get started on a Mac. But there are also a lot of things that will be either new or different.

First recommendation is a read thru Eric's switcher's faq for general basics. A whole boat load of good stuff there.

If you're looking for a great book, Leopard: The Missing Manual is the ticket.

It would be a lot easier to say what you would like to do, and then allow the members to point you in the direction(s) for getting it done.

About the only thing you can't do is run Windows programs without installing Windows on your Mac. So, nothing that has a .exe will run. Most file types that require a specific program in order to open them on your Windows machine will still require a specific program to open on your Mac.

The first 4 items to install are:
Flip4Mac for playing windows media files you'll run into on the net
Perian for just about every other media file type except for:
Flash Player
Stuffit expander - you'll eventually run into some file you've downloaded that you'll need this for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...like what file extensions can i use or not use etc. just general basics.

thanks in advance.

File extensions are the same for the most part. I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff.

OP
Black_Mamba
Reaction score
ahhh you're all so helpful XD is there like a mac equivelant of .exe on software discs?
i'm tryin to install coreldraw and was wonderin whether i should be looking for a different file extension or how to autorun the disc if the autorun is .exe :S

And i'm hopin to get Photoshop in the next couple of weeks :) thank you all so much

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A windows software program will not install on your Mac unless you install Windows.

Once again, no .exe will run on your Mac without Windows.

You cannot install any of your old windows software on your Mac without first installing Windows.

(Now,who is going to come in and tell him to get Crossover?)

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB mem 320GB HD
MY MACBOOK JUST GOT HERE!!! 2.4Ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb ram etc... its awesome wish i knew more of the shorts cuts, lol i just found how to scroll, two fingers AMAZING.
so this whole .exe thing hmm... must look into it because right now i am load lots of files from my hard drive to the mac. photos, music, than my torrent programs, any suggestions PLEASE..... I love this machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
It's pretty easy to get started on a Mac. But there are also a lot of things that will be either new or different.

First recommendation is a read thru Eric's switcher's faq for general basics. A whole boat load of good stuff there.

If you're looking for a great book, Leopard: The Missing Manual is the ticket.

The first 4 items to install are:
Flip4Mac for playing windows media files you'll run into on the net
Perian for just about every other media file type except for:
Flash Player
Stuffit expander - you'll eventually run into some file you've downloaded that you'll need this for
I just wanted to say thank you for posting this info. Good stuff. I read the switcher faq here and purchased the Missing Manual a few days after I bought my new Mac. And I am going to begin downloading the "first 4 items" you suggested.

Btw; someone brought up Aperture for photogtaphy (RAW), and I can attest this seems to be a great program (Aperture2). The sales woman at the Apple store convinced me to install this program when I bought my Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help swick.

Have Aperture myself, although I am only a beginner with a camera and with the app.

There is also Adobe's Lightroom which is liked by a lot of folks also.

Both of them offer 30 day free trials. I just downloaded the Aperture trial, liked it, and never tried Lightroom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
so this whole .exe thing hmm... must look into it because right now i am load lots of files from my hard drive to the mac. photos, music, than my torrent programs, any suggestions PLEASE..... I love this machine!

exe files are Windows programs, so you wouldn't really expect them to run on OS X anyway.

Image, music and torrent files will work fine. If you need a Torrent program, try Vuze.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
exe files are Windows programs, so you wouldn't really expect them to run on OS X anyway.

Image, music and torrent files will work fine. If you need a Torrent program, try Vuze.

You can run EXE files with VM Ware or parallel in your favorite Windows platform.

Transmission is nice and simple. I get better speeds with uTorrent though. >_>"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.