'Burning' Question...(sorry for the pun)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
I finally got my PowerMac Dual 1.8Ghz G5 at work. They've now given me the task of burning our setup cds on the G5, but here's the problem...I need to burn hundreds of copies of this CD, and constantly using the Finder to burn disk after disk, naming each one, dragging the files over, clicking Burn each time, is tedious and time consuming. I need to know if there's a simple way to start burning the CDs and only have it prompt me for new disks. I don't think the company will spring for a copy of Roxio Toast, and any of the Shareware or Freeware burning apps are either feature limited, time limited, burn limited, or completely unusable for my task. Does anyone have a simple way to setup something like this?

Reaction score
DakRoland said:
I finally got my PowerMac Dual 1.8Ghz G5 at work. They've now given me the task of burning our setup cds on the G5, but here's the problem...I need to burn hundreds of copies of this CD, and constantly using the Finder to burn disk after disk, naming each one, dragging the files over, clicking Burn each time, is tedious and time consuming. I need to know if there's a simple way to start burning the CDs and only have it prompt me for new disks. I don't think the company will spring for a copy of Roxio Toast, and any of the Shareware or Freeware burning apps are either feature limited, time limited, burn limited, or completely unusable for my task. Does anyone have a simple way to setup something like this?

Ya, but it will cost you about $30, will your cheapskate company pay for it? Called Mac Burn, burns multiple disks does iso's etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think disk utility might be able to burn multiple copies of 1 disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Take one of the completed disks and put it in the computer.

Open up disk utility (Appliciation -> utilities)

Go to Images -> New Image
and click from the CD that shows up in the menue there

You can now just click that image that will be mounted in disk utility and click burn

OP
DakRoland
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
trpnmonkey41 said:
Take one of the completed disks and put it in the computer.

Open up disk utility (Appliciation -> utilities)

Go to Images -> New Image
and click from the CD that shows up in the menue there

You can now just click that image that will be mounted in disk utility and click burn

Thank you Macman and trpnmonkey41, that is the best bet so far. Preferrably, I'd like it just to burn the disc, eject it and ask for a new disc, and not have me click anything unless I want to stop burning discs..but I'm glad this is much better than my last method.

James, my company is not a 'cheapskate company' by any measure. We are a small ISP servicing around 7000 customers. We don't have tons of money to spend, and yes, I understand that $30 isn't much. But since I love this company as much as anyone who works here, we try our hardest to save every penny we can. If I can make what I have work without having to buy more for it, all the better. It was great as it was that they purchased me the Mac G5 to begin with. This one machine has replaced 4 others, and added support for a growing segment of OS X users in our area. This was a purchase they wanted to make for over 6 months. They finally did and I'm very excited about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.