• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

newbie questions?

Reaction score
I currently just have a pc...I know...I know....but I want a Mac I wanna do better really. Anyway I plan on doing video editing alot that is my primary purpose for my future purchase. My question is what kind if any major problems or complaints do you guys have about imovie and final cut keeping in mind that I am new to the game. Will I really be happy that I made the switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
iMovie is designed to be a consumer product. It is very easy to use. In it, click Help and go to the tutorials Apple provides. Final Cut Express is designed for professionals. It, then, is much more difficult to learn. Its upside is that you can do so much more with it. Its downside is that you will have to make a bunch of decisions that iMovie makes for for you in the interest of ease of use. I'd start with iMovie just to get my feet wet and move up to FCE when comfortable. The best $$ I have spent on assistance is the OneToOne program at the brick-and-mortar Apple store. For $100 you get one hour a week of personal instruction on whatever you want. It is a heck of a deal. Good luck. Video is fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
iMovie is designed to be a consumer product. It is very easy to use. In it, click Help and go to the tutorials Apple provides. Final Cut Express is designed for professionals. It, then, is much more difficult to learn. Its upside is that you can do so much more with it. Its downside is that you will have to make a bunch of decisions that iMovie makes for for you in the interest of ease of use. I'd start with iMovie just to get my feet wet and move up to FCE when comfortable. The best $$ I have spent on assistance is the OneToOne program at the brick-and-mortar Apple store. For $100 you get one hour a week of personal instruction on whatever you want. It is a heck of a deal. Good luck. Video is fun.

He is absolutely right. iMovie '09 is better than iMovie '08 (duh? well, I say that because iMovie '08 was a good drag-and-drop editor, but it was very limited on video effects and features). So, if you get a new mac it will have iMovie '09, which, as said above, is easy to use...and when you're ready, upgrade to FCE. And the one-to-one training is VERY helpful.

Just seconding Dr. Dave's idea;)

Good luck and enjoy your new Mac when you get it.

Pantstofry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.