How to change dhcp config, reply-threshold-seconds. Conn DirectTV DVR to net via MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS 10.5.8 & WinXP
I have DTV satellite service, and want to check out the new free ON DEMAND service, so need to connect my DVR to the internet. Before I run an ethernet cable thru the attic across the house, I thought to try it out by using my macbook pro as a wireless router.

Searching the net I found this article with what looks like the solution:

--------------------------------------------------
Direct TV on Demand connection question...?
It's going to take a networking genius to answer this one but here goes... How do I connect my DTV DVR to the internet thru my MacBook? I already tried setting up the internet sharing in the MacBook and then connected it to the HD DVR with ethernet cable but the HD DVR couldn't connect to the internet. This might be a better way of asking the same question: How do I make the ethernet port on my MacBook act like it was a ethernet port on the Airport Extreme base station? Thanx for any info!

P.S. I figured out how to do it. Once you are sharing FROM airport TO built in ethernet, go to the NetInfo Manager and change the "reply-threshold-seconds" (config, dhcp) from 4 to 0. Plug in the DVR, connect & go.
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I created the share FROM airport TO built-in ethernet fine, but can't find NetInfo in my applications folder. ?? (using OS version 10.5.5)
So how do I change my dhcp config reply-threshold-seconds? Also, think I need to change that setting on the Airport or Built-in connection?
I looked at Sys Prefs, Network, but can't seem to find details for reply-threshold. Any ideas? I think I'm almost home and it'll be fun to see it working. Try that in Windows?

Thanks for any advice. -Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
If you're connecting the DVR directly to your Mac you probably need a crossover cable, not a regular CAT5 cable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS 10.5.8 & WinXP
Thanks fish, I have a crossover cable handy to try; turns out a reg cat cable worked. And, shock of all shocks-- in WinXP!! Can you believe it??

I remember trying to get WinXP to share my broadband Iaccess with other puters via wireless last year-- Mac Tiger got it done in seconds, could never get that to work in WinXP.
In "Network Connections", wireless net conn props, I went to the advanced tab and checked "allow other network users to connect through this pc's".

Btw, DTV's On Demand was disappointing. I'll have to check if the DVR software is out of date... for example looking up movies, HD--- there were none.

Still a puzzle to me why I can't find NetInfo Mgr in my Apps/Utils folder or anywhere on my mac. Did that go away or morph with OS 10.5+?

Reaction score
I have DTV satellite service, and want to check out the new free ON DEMAND service, so need to connect my DVR to the internet. Before I run an ethernet cable thru the attic across the house, I thought to try it out by using my macbook pro as a wireless router.

Searching the net I found this article with what looks like the solution:

--------------------------------------------------
Direct TV on Demand connection question...?
It's going to take a networking genius to answer this one but here goes... How do I connect my DTV DVR to the internet thru my MacBook? I already tried setting up the internet sharing in the MacBook and then connected it to the HD DVR with ethernet cable but the HD DVR couldn't connect to the internet. This might be a better way of asking the same question: How do I make the ethernet port on my MacBook act like it was a ethernet port on the Airport Extreme base station? Thanx for any info!

P.S. I figured out how to do it. Once you are sharing FROM airport TO built in ethernet, go to the NetInfo Manager and change the "reply-threshold-seconds" (config, dhcp) from 4 to 0. Plug in the DVR, connect & go.
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I created the share FROM airport TO built-in ethernet fine, but can't find NetInfo in my applications folder. ?? (using OS version 10.5.5)
So how do I change my dhcp config reply-threshold-seconds? Also, think I need to change that setting on the Airport or Built-in connection?
I looked at Sys Prefs, Network, but can't seem to find details for reply-threshold. Any ideas? I think I'm almost home and it'll be fun to see it working. Try that in Windows?

Thanks for any advice. -Mark

Was anyone able to solve the dhcp config reply threshold-seconds question?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.