Appalling IMAC G5 Purchase and Support Experience.

M

MattHonnor

I originally ordered an IMac in December only to have the order cancelled because it was not made clear that the credit card address had to be the same as my residential address.
My second orderat the beginning of January was for an IMac G5 plus a wireless keyboard and mouse. The delivery time was quoted as 6-7 days.

The IMac arrived 19th Jan with a wireles keyboard and mouse in the box and a second wireless keyboard and mouse in a second box. I unpacked all this on 31st jan and set it up. At the point where setup asks if you wish to transfer data from another apple computer I connected my powerbook by firewire and pressed continue. On completion of this my IMac was unusable as the settings for the wireless keyboard/mouse had been changed.

I rang Tech support who said I needed a wired keyb/mouse and transferred me to customer service who after some 30 mins said they would ring me back when they had arranged to send me these items.
Needless to say, no-one rang back that day or the next morning. I rang them again on the afternoon of 1st Feb. For over an hour and a half I was transferred between 6 people having to wait and explain the problem to each one before being finally told I'd have to buy a wired keyb/mouse from their store although they would give me a refund on 1 wreless keyb/mse. whilst waiting for this I was again cut off.
No-one rang back so I rang again today held for 6mins-cutoff, rang again held for 10mins no joy only the address to write to.

I would think very hard before making any major purchase online from Apple. They have been evasive, unhelpful and as far as delivery dates and promises to ring back untruthful.

Reaction score
I have had a problem getting my imac G5 fixed by Apple as well, it was a week old when it packed in and now they have had the computer longer than me, as it's not yet fixed. I get the impression that they are just really busy as replacing the computer wasn't an option and I think this is because we bought the last one. Anyway it really sucks and is not what you expect from Apple, lets hope that everything is sorted out soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yikes no kidding.. that's pretty bad :( I know it took me forever to receive my iMac, but that's to be expected due to how popular each release has been, so the backlog is pretty crazy. But your experience.. no reason for that :( It's good to know that this is the exception, but it still bites :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
they are neck deep in orders and or replacements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Of all of the problems with iMacs it seems that practically all of them are international orders. Murlyn and myself both got the new iMacs when they first came out with zero problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Oh yea and if you have just any USB keyboard and mouse you can plug those in to set up the bluetooth wireless combo. You don't need to wait for apple to send you an apple keyboard/mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I have had no problems with my iMac (knock on wood) and shipping only took about a week for my BTO unit. It seems to me that the hypothesis that this is an 'overseas' problem may be valid. Every time I've read of the noisey fan issue, especially poor customer support, or any blutooth issues it always seems to be coming from the UK, the EU, or India, never really here in the states. Unfortunate for sure...

-Chris

OP
M

MattHonnor

At Last!!. Wired Keyb?mouse appeared, reset wireless keyb/mouse and I now have aworking IMac. Unfortunately I also have a spare wireless keyb/mouse and a spare wired keyb (wasn't necessary, only wired mouse needed to reset bluetooth). I also have a bill for 2hrs national rate calls that got me nowhere.

Still I'm very pleased with the IMac now.

Reaction score
I got my imac back today as well and guess what. After hassling me for putting ram in the computer that he said had broken the motherboard the man at the Apple store ordered a new one only to find out later that it wasn't the motherboard at all and was in fact the power supply.
In holland the power runs on 220volts and its not the first time I have heard this being a problem in the imac g5's. Its funny because when he was testing it I noticed that he didn't put the lead into the mains to see what the test LED's where doing. I just assumed that he'd do this later. Anyway he was very appolgetic indeed and so he should be. Ha ha

I am now the proud owner of a G5 imac again after a week in ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you both had your issues resolved! After a few days of playing with you now working iMacs you'll forget all about your troubles. ;)

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.