• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is it really worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
I sold an item on eBay recently and the buyer never paid or responded. I opened a unpaid item dispute against him and closed it on Sunday giving him an unpaid item strike after he never paid or emailed me. I recieved an email message from him saying:

Hello, I quickly withdrew the bid on that item. Can you please remove the unpaid item strikes??
Thnx

The item was Buy-It-Now, so he couldn't have withdrew a bid, and he never messaged me saying that he didn't want the item. I told him that I was not going to remove the unpaid item strikes.

He then paid for the item this morning after 16 days of recieving nothing saying:

I have paid for this crap, I did not respond because it was the holidays and I did not see your item strikes. But I guess you are one of those out there trying to stick it to people.

My question is, is it really worth risking my reputation on eBay for a $20 item? Is it true that if I do remove the unpaid item strike, he will be able to leave me negative feedback?

Even If I refund his money and refuse to remove the strikes, he can go to eBay and claim that he paid for it because he now has a reciept from paypal. Then, eBay will remove the strike given to him and he can leave me negative feedback.

I really hate the buyers who expect the sellers to remove unpaid item strikes and contact us only when they get punishment. :Angry:

What would you do if you were in my situation? Send the item to him, remove the unpaid item strikes and probably get negative feedback OR Refund his money, keep the unpaid item strikes, and risk the chance he will complain to ebay that he paid for it and get negative feedback if the strikes are removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would remove his unpaid strike and refund his money. Then tell him to never bid on my items again.

Also, I thought you couldn't leave negative feedback anymore?

OP
MacBookPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sellers can't but buyers can, thats why I am risking my feedback on eBay. The only thing is, he can't leave me negative feedback because of the unpaid item strikes, once I remove those, he can give me negative feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Sounds like he may be mad simply because he got caught (unpaid strike against him). My guess is that he has probably done the same thing before.

Good luck with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just refund him then and leave the unpaid strike. Even if he does contact eBay it was 16 days since he won the item. You had all the right to file an unpaid strike.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would just refund him then and leave the unpaid strike. Even if he does contact eBay it was 16 days since he won the item. You had all the right to file an unpaid strike.

Exactly. Buy it Now is just that - you are buying it "NOW" and are expecting immediate payment. If he didn't make other arrangements, then he is in violation of eBay policies and is considered a non-paying-bidder. The Buy-It-Now dialog that comes up is very clear on this, you are required to pay immediately, it even makes you agree to it.

Chances are he's a scammer and if you sent him the item, he'd just file a dispute with PayPal, citing your non-paying bidder complaint. Better to be safe than sorry. Refund him his payment and send him an email that he is not to contact you any further nor bid on your items. Make sure you save ALL correspondence in the event that the problem recurs. eBay has turned into a haven for scumbags and I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I don't think you've done anything wrong. Keep the strikes on his/her account, send a refund and relist the item, making sure you never deal with this person again. You've broken no rules this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just sold some items on eBay and it reminded me about this thread.

@MacBookPro
What was the outcome?

OP
MacBookPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did refund his payment and keep the unpaid item strikes. However, I just learned that after the unpaid item strike is closed and you decide to remove it, because the buyer paid, he cannot leave feedback for the transaction even though you removed the strike. You will be re-charged the final value fee on the item though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
I have paid for this crap, I did not respond because it was the holidays and I did not see your item strikes. But I guess you are one of those out there trying to stick it to people.
This tells me the buyer wasn't a scammer, but a pinhead who either made a mistake by using "Buy It Now", or ran into a personal issue regarding payment.

eBay has turned into a haven for scumbags and I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of them.
But you're right, fleabay is full *it* today.

I just learned that after the unpaid item strike is closed and you decide to remove it, because the buyer paid, he cannot leave feedback for the transaction even though you removed the strike. You will be re-charged the final value fee on the item though.
That goes without saying. The visitors aren't the only scammer's @ fleabay.

Oh and as for reputation there, it's not what it once was. I would have to believe as long as your not entirely new there (as a seller), most people will overlook bad rep (95% or above ?) if they really want something at your price. Don't worry about reputation until you become an obvious high-risk seller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
He was definitely in the wrong and sounded like all kinds of trouble. I never would have removed the strike as a matter of principle. He had a very flimsy excuse that was obviously a lie. You're doing a service to the general ebay community by tagging this person as a bad buyer. Letting it go would be to let him screw with someone else down the road.

As others have mentioned, ebay is getting very bad. Anything to mark one more bad person is a good thing. I'm guessing the guy would have intentionally done something to whatever you sold him and filed with Paypal. Though, in my experience the buyer doesn't really have to do anything other than open a dispute to get Paypal to side with them. The whole system has really gone down hill between the rep system change and Paypal's dispute policies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I totally agree with all of this.

Ebay is totally a worldwide garage sale as the song says. So I'd take the same precautions as you would on a garage sale in your own place.

And I think the OP has done the right thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.