Issue with closing macbook pro! Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro / Apple iPhone 3G 16gb
Sometimes after I close my laptop, when I go to use it again the screen stays black and I have to force the power off and reboot to get it to start working again. It used to happen every now and then, kind of annoying but no big deal, but now it's starting to happen more frequently, sometimes several times a day. What is the issue here, is there a series of keystrokes I'm missing to get the screen to go on? What can I do to prevent this from happening again! Help please, thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
You could try when you lift the lift to press the power button and sometimes mine will stay black until i do that. Otherwise i'd take it to an apple store and see what they have to say. It could be some type of hardware issue.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try the space bar. if i open mine, and the log in doesn't pop up right away, i press space and that usually rouses it.

not sure what would be causing the issue in the first place. you could try resetting the pmu - shut down, remove the battery and power lead, hold down the power button for about 10 sec and then replace the battery and power lead and power back on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i did try the space bar, along with pretty much every key, doesn't seem to work. if i trigger a sound while trying to get the picture back on the screen, i can hear the sound, but the screen stays black. it's becoming quite a pain as you can imagine.

eric: thanks for the tip, i tried it out and i'll see if i notice a difference.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope, this didn't work. :(

any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
nope, this didn't work. :(

any other ideas?

Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) which is responsible for power management:

See here.

If that doesn't work, it may time to take it on in and have Apple look at it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
This occasionally happens to me, also. If you do find a solution for this quandary, please post it here so that others may benefit :)

Damien

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still can't find anything that helps this issue, please help! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.