docx files using office 2004

Reaction score
Hello

Can someone please tell me how I can view .docx files using Office 2004 (Version 11.3)??

Many thanks

Reaction score
Microsoft has released a converter for the earlier version of MS Office to open the .docx files.
Quote: Open XML Converter allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. Open XML Converter can convert Word documents, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations that are in the Open XML Format so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.

Download it here: Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did download Open XML File Format Converter from the microsoft website but I couldn't install it.

I doubled clicked on the file and a new finder window appeared. Then I copied the content of this window into the applications folder but nothing happened.

The version of office 2004 I've got is 11.3 and it says on the microsoft website that in order to open converted documents, you must have Office 2004 11.4.0 or later, or Office v. X 10.1.9 installed on your computer.

Does that mean I will need to upgrade to a later office version? office 2008?

Any suggestions more please?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen,

I installed the updater from the MS website with no problems but still can't install the mpkg file inside the open XML file format converter window.
When i drag & drop the mpkg file into the applications folder, it only copies that and nothing else. Once it's copied in the applications folder it should automatically start the installation.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?

OP
G
Reaction score
I've got Mac OS X 10.3.9.
Maybe my mac is too old for installing mpkg files?

Reaction score
Hi Goude,

I hope this can help

System Requirements
Important To open converted documents, you must have Office 2004 11.4.0 or later, or Office v. X 10.1.9 or later installed on your computer. For the best experience, we recommend that you install the Office 2004 11.5.1 Update or a later update for Office 2004 for Mac.

To verify that you have installed the Office 2004 11.4.0 Update or a later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office 2004/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info. To verify that you have installed the Office v. X 10.1.9 Update or a later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office X/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info.

Additionally, your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:

Supported Operating Systems: Apple Mac OS X
Operating System Versions: Mac OSX version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS
Note To verify that your computer meets these minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.

How to Install
To install this download

Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with the installation.
Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 5 to place the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
In the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume window, double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 application to start the installation process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the application installer from your hard disk. To remove the application installer, first drag the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.
To remove this download

If Open XML Converter is running, quit the application.
On your hard disk, locate the converter application.
Drag the converter application to the Trash, and then on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
To remove your existing converter application preferences, in /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft, delete the com.microsoft.OfficeConverter.plist file.
Important To remove all converter files from your computer, in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft, delete the HV1.0, MAU2.0, and Office Converter Support folders. If other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, Microsoft Messenger, or Microsoft Expression Media is installed on your computer, do not delete any of the files in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft because these files are used by other Microsoft applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When i drag & drop the mpkg file into the applications folder, it only copies that and nothing else. Once it's copied in the applications folder it should automatically start the installation.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. You're supposed to run the mpkg file, not copy it to the Applications folder. Double-click the file to run it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.