1st Gen to 3G iPhone

Reaction score
Ok, so I currently have the 1st generation iPhone and I was wondering if I purchase a 3G iPhone, if I could simply put my sim card in the new iPhone and be good to go? I'm planning on getting a used 3G from a friend..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It should work that way. Then plug it into iTunes and it should just automatically sync with all your data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 3G is a great phone even when you are just upgrading from a 1st Gen.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I still prefer the older iphone as no G3 here yet.

Reaction score
Accessories

You will also have to factor in any new iPhone 3G accessories you will need to purchase. For some reason, the iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPod Nano 4th gen all require different set of accessories. If you try plugging in say a 1st generation charger to the iPhone 3G, it will give you an error message.

Reaction score
In Many cases I have personally heard that when you upgrade ur iphone from the first gen to the 3g People were unaware of the 10 dollar more expense apple charges for the 3g. Make sure your aware of this for ur benefit!!

Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't actually need to swap SIM cards. When you plug in the new iPhone, you'll get the option of recovering from a backup. Once it does that, it'll automatically activate your new phone and all of your old data will have transferred to the new phone. You will literally pick up right where you left off with your old phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't actually need to swap SIM cards. When you plug in the new iPhone, you'll get the option of recovering from a backup. Once it does that, it'll automatically activate your new phone and all of your old data will have transferred to the new phone. You will literally pick up right where you left off with your old phone.

That's true when you purchase a new 3G. If your lucky they usually activate it for you at the store as well.

Since the OP is getting the 3G from a friend it probably isn't going to have a SIM card with it. You can get a free one from a ATT store or the SIM swap method should work.

Reaction score
Swap 1st gen iPhone sim into 3GS - it works

the sim from a 1st gen iphone will not work in a iPhone 3g.

Wrong. I upgraded from my first gen iphone to the 3GS. I had the phone delivered to my home from ATT online, swapped out the sim card myself and activated it through itunes. It appears ATT still thinks I am on my old 1st gen because I never went through the full activation process, and my minutes, text messages, and bill appear to be the same. All apps and preferences synced perfectly.

3G and GPS work just fine. The phone is fully functional, without having to pay 3G plan prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.