battery

Reaction score
I heard if you use the battery power, it will eventually die and won't run off of the battery anymore. I made an effort to only use the plug to power my powerbook.
By never using the battery, I've inadvertently killed my battery! If I am running the laptop with battery power it will run out of juice after 20 minutes (if I'm lucky).
Please help, there must be something I can do! I made an effort not to use my battery and now it doesn't even work! I tried letting it run out and charging all the way through, which has fixed my camera battery, but it didn't seem to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Per the Apple Doc's.. your battery needs to be 'cycled' every so often, to maintain the capacity and health of the battery.

Leaving it plugged in would have killed the battery over time.

OP
K
Reaction score
is it fixable, or are you saying I blew it? I'll try to see what you are talking about when I get home, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Download this - Coconut Battery and see what it tells you.

Odd's are it is NOT fixable.

OP
K
Reaction score
What did I do wrong? My girlfriend has an ibook, what should we do to prevent it from malfunctioning like mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Don't worry so much about batteries. Removing the battery and running off the outlet will not help anything, it will actually make things worse.

When you run your MacBook without the battery it automatically lowers settings in your machine and your laptop will run slower.

Any rechargeable battery will begin to die off eventually, they only have so many charges in them. Over time it will start to not hold a charge for as long, after about 400ish charges it will be almost impossible to use. When this happens you just buy a new battery, when possible leave your laptop plugged in and charging while you are using it, but when you need to take it out and about with you just take it with you on battery power.

It is a laptop for a reason, it is meant to be run on a battery. I leave mine plugged in at my desk but when I take it to class I run on battery power. Just make sure you let the battery run down all the way every once in a while and then charge it back up it keeps the battery working properly.

You have probably killed your current battery by not using it at all, just like a car battery would die if you let it sit for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.