FireWire 800 ExpressCard issue

Reaction score
Apologies for the cross-post, but after replying to an older post in the apple notebooks forum, realized the posting rules were such that this should be in this forum instead.

See issue below ---

Expresscard/34 on Macbook Pro
Hi, I have a brand new 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.4 with 4 gig RAM. I want to run FW 800 devices through the Expresscard but can't get the MBP to see the drives attached to the card.

I have a Belkin FireWire 800 ExpressCard Model F5U514. The Belkin web site says that it is good for the Mac.

The system profiler sees the two FW800 slots and they are visible in Preferences within the networking page.

The only sign that it is in use when plugged-in however is a small icon on the grey top-line on the display next to the Time Machine icon.

There are three line of info nder this "card" icon
1. Unknown Vendor (greyed-out)
2. FireWire Controller (greyed-out)
3. Power off Card ( in bold black type )

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Trying to see if the OP figured the issue out (initially posted in Feb 08).

Thanks for any help!!

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reply a bit late.....

Look for a firmware update for the card on the Belkin web site. It may need to be updated. If no firmware update is available, you may be out of luck as it appears the card may not be completely compatible - at least not in the attached mode.

If System Profiler is showing the presence of the card along with its two FW 800 ports, that at least tells you the card is being recognized. But what happens when you plug a FW drive into one of the ports on the card? Does the drive mount?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.