Advice re: boot drive (SSD, HHD RAID 0, etc)

Reaction score
Hello, all and tia in advance to any who reply. I recognize that SSD is expensive, but I am willing, if necessary, to make the investment, now, for the sake of my sanity. I am looking for advice regarding the proper or best storage system in the following situation:

1. MacBook Pro, Santa Rosa, late 2007, 2.6ghz; to be used:

2. in a windows environment at work running VMWare and/or Parallels Fusion (I use both now);

3. Backup nightly to 1TB Caviar Black and intend to run RAID 0 boot drive (2 x Scorpio Black 1TB partitioned), or, if it would be better, "enterprise" grade SLC SSD to avoid the random write issue I've read so much about(Intel X25-E or Memoright depending on whether there is any effective performance gain for my usage);

4. My objective is to speed up the running of windows applications (and I would rather not use BootCamp). Typical daily usage includes accessing and saving documents and emails to office server, constant Kaspersky protection, using iTunes (from a library stored on an external drive connected via eSata; does that = "streaming"?).

5. I find the constant delays in multi-tasking in such a simple things as Windows unbearable. B/c my profession requires the constant usage of Office programs (which seem inexplicably moribund), I'm willing to do anything to speed things up.

OP
P
Reaction score
Clarification 2 x 320 Scorpio Blacks (640GB RAID 0)

writing too fast and didn't pay enough attention. Anyone have any thoughts on the original question(s)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.