Leopard vs. snow leopard

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tough call right now. Very little is known about Snow Leopard in the way of concrete facts. If you can afford to wait, I would. Leopard offers a lot of new features, but none that I would consider Earth-shattering for one that is satisfied with Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Snow Leopard promises to take up a smaller footprint and run more efficiently than Leopard. You may find that Snow Leopard runs better than Leopard would on a 3 year old machine.

When did Apple switch from PPC to Intel? It has to be an Intel machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The changeover was during 2006

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm probably going to wait then. My computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?

This is what I was wondering. I have Tiger right now on my Mac Pro, but Leopard on my Macbook. I like the features of Leopard and want to put it on my Mac Pro, but I don't NEED it so I was wondering if I should wait for Snow Leopard.

My real question was whether Snow Leopard was just going to be an update, or a whole new OS that will need to be bought and installed. If it was just an update, I'd get Leopard now and update when it comes down, but it seems to be a new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am pretty sure you are going to have to buy it, so just wait patiently, after all Tiger is still a fantastic OS

Reaction score
You're going to have to buy it. It's internally known as 10.6 anyway.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah I was also curious if Snow Leopard was just an update to Leopard and you had to already have Leopard. But it definitely sounds like Snow Leopard is it's own OS. I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2

I have a Macbook like yours (same age anyway) and I am going to wait and see what Snow Leopard brings. I hope though, that Snow Leopard will support our Macbooks from 2006 that only runs 32-bit. I think it will be a big mistake by Apple to "discard" 2,5 year old computers because they can't be upgraded. I know that our computers will run fine with 10.4 and 10.5 but eventually we will bump into software that cannot run on our machines because the software needs 10.6 to run... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple doesn't do "updates" to non pro apps.
OS X, iLife, iWork have never had "update" versions, only full versions.

Personally, I believe 10.6 is still a fair way out yet, so you might be waiting a while. Having said that I wouldn't upgrade to 10.5 at this time, unless I needed it for a certain app.

Reaction score
Upgrade Macbook Pro with tiger to snow leopard doest not work

I bought Snow Leopard upgrade today. I own a Macbook pro with intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz, 2gb. I tried doing the upgrade from Tiger and it doesn't work. Installation will get stuck during boot with gear spinning. I've tried different steps from pressing C key and option key. It will not work from Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, will need to get the Box Set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
TMy computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that :)

I know someone with a Core 2 processor who's wondering about Snow Leopard. I think it will run, just not as fast as on a Core 2 Duo processor. I haven't seen that addressed specifically anywhere. How 'bout it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.