My Mac is trying is setting off Cisco Security agent warnings on Windows computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
At my work we have about 6 people on our floor. Everyone has a PC, I have a Mac Book Pro. We have a controlled corporate network, and everyone with a PC has a customized corporate version of Windows XP. Every PC has this Cisco Security Agent thing. Recently multiple people have been getting warning messages saying IP .... is trying to access the network. The IP address is my Mac. This worries me.

Anyone know what this is? Is it possible the Mac has a virus. They tried giving me this Semantic Anti Virus for Mac, but the virus definitions are from 2005. I try to update them, but the update fails. I hope this is nothing, but I am worried its something. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The most likely cause is that your Mac is indeed trying to access the network. After all, it's plugged into the network, right? It will naturally look around to see what network resources are available.

OP
DarkKnight369
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
Its weird though, because it just started to happen a few weeks ago. It freaked me out. I can see if it was doing it all along. Perhaps it always did this and maybe the Cisco Security Agent got a recent update.

Reaction score
You didn't happen to install MS Office for Mac recently? When I did this on my daughter's MBP, I got security warnings on my winders systems as well - turned out to be MS Office trying to connect to an update server. Turned off that feature in MS Office for Mac - problem went away - just a thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.