uninstall letter opener

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
i downloaded a program that was supposed to help with winmail.dat attachments called Letter opener. Now I need to uninstall it but it seems to be buried within Mail3.5......

The readme file said to scroll to library/mail/bundles and remove the file "OMiC.mailbundle". The problem I am faced with is i dont have a folder named bundles in library/mail.

Can anybody help me get this app deleted from mail????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Can I ask why you wish to uninstall it? Did it work? I occasionally have the winmail.dat problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
are you looking in Hard Disk > Library > Mail

or Hard Disk > Users > YourHomeFolder> Library > Mail

Try both

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
I finally figured it out. I was looking in the library of my user account. Had to go to HD/library/mail/bundles and remove the OMiC folder. now it is gone....

I removed it because it doesnt help with the winmail.dat issue when using a gmail account.... Seems like a good program otherwise though.

Reaction score
My first post here and I am a new user of a Mac. I have been using PC's for the last 10 years and just got a Macbook Pro right before Christmas.

I had the Winmail.dat problem and just downloaded the "Letter Opener" program and like magic the files are now back to .doc that I can open up easily.

Thanks much for the suggestion and the expertise I see here on this Forum. So far I love this Mac. It moves at a very fast pace for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro G5, 2.66GHz Quad, 3GB,OS 10.6
Letter Opener

Does not function with 10.6. Everytime mail is opened get message that app has been disabled. Can not find where it is located to stop message.

Reaction score
Letter Opener issues with Snow Leopard

I have the same issues with the letter opener plug in. I followed the advise posted here by removing the OMiC.mailbundle. But ever since I did that my composed email stays in my draft file even after I sent it. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Uninstall Menu Option

I found that with the Mail application up and running there was a menu item under 'Mail-Letter Opener' to uninstall the add-on. This seems to have cleanly removed it.

Reaction score
Yes!

I finally figured it out. I was looking in the library of my user account. Had to go to HD/library/mail/bundles and remove the OMiC folder. now it is gone....

I removed it because it doesnt help with the winmail.dat issue when using a gmail account.... Seems like a good program otherwise though.

Thank you, it worked. Finally I got rid of the banner.
Agree, the program works nicely but the price for the licensed version is rather steep.

Reaction score
Hello louishen,

Have been re directed to this thread and hope you can help:

I have this problem with same program called 'letter opener'
Have tolerated it for five months now - and going cuckoo :'(

I downloaded this program here:
Download Letter Opener for Mac - Extracts attachments from winmail.dat files (was OMiC). MacUpdate.com

The program seemed incompatible for mail 5.1.
After I trashed the program,
(I do not remember it having an uninstall option, I just moved everything that had 'letter opener' to trash).
I found this pop up consistently appearing when I start up mail:

Mail has disabled the following plug-ins:
Letter Opener
Contact the makers of these plug-ins for versions that are compatible with Mail 5.1 and Message 5.1.
Since then, I emailed the developers but simply got no reply.

I do not wish to use this program nor its new version.
How do I get rid of this annoying pop up and bouncing icon?
Help !
Thanks.

Reaction score
Btw, I did try to search on HD for any files related to letter opener,
only found a few zip files - would it help to trash these or should I be looking for .plist
files as suggested by harry2448?
I have app cleaner but it won't accept these zips.
thanks

Reaction score
Hooray ! Problem solved !

Just for the record, incase anyone has this or similar problem:

I tried all the tricks mentioned above and also got a response from the program developer.
The developer's advice was
'Move OMiC.mailbundle from Macintosh HD/Library/Mail/Bundles into the Trash.'

I tried this but did not find the related files, because I had incorrectly used spotlight search instead of navigating to library/mail/bundles.

I then went to the developer's site and downloaded the program again - the the option to un install re appeared in t he mail drop down menu. I clicked on that and Bingo !
Restarted and the mail stamp in the dock did not jump like a jumping bean and the pop up was absent :Cool:
Thanks to every one who offered help.

Added: Special Thanks to a further follow up from the Developer of Letter Opener - (Bonus - I learned to navigate HD correctly).

wsw

Reaction score
Using Mavericks, Mail 7.2, & Letter Opener 6.0.2
As mentioned by Hazoss, with the 14 day trial of letter opener pro, the developer has included an uninstall option in the Mail drop down menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think they may have found it after so long...........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.