Safari and Firefox issues after failed update, disk repair and archive install

Reaction score
I've a G4 PowerPC laptop, and yesterday, we installed the latest security update. As a result, our laptop got stuck on bootup at the white screen with the grey apple and wouldn't go past that. We read that we had to do a disk repair and archive install in order to get past it, so my husband did just that. The disk repair stated that it repaired one volume out of two attempted, then we did "Archive Previous Version" and "Reinstall", with no errors during installation and then the computer was able to boot up properly after that.

We didn't test anything beyond that last night, and this morning, when I tried to open up Safari, the icon on the dock just bounced once, and never opened. The same thing with Firefox. I went directly to the applications folder, and tried to open from there, with the same result. The same is happening with every other application on there except Mail, addressbook, and AIM.

I checked the crash logs and this is what both said (I'm typing them up, since I'm in a different computer, but I tried to be as accurate as possible):

Safari:

Host Name: My-names-Computer.local
Date/Time: 2009-01-0 07:04:30 - 0500
OS Version: 10.3.7 (Build 7T62)
Report Version: 2

Command: Safari
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Version: ???(???)
PID: 499
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyId) error:

dyId:/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari can't open library: System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SyndicationUI.framework/Versions/A/SyndicationUI (No such file or directory, errno =2)

Firefox:

Host Name: My-names-Computer.local
Date/Time: 2009-01-0 07:08:11 - 0500
OS Version: 10.3.7 (Build 7T62)
Report Version: 2

Command: firefox-bin
Path: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
Version: ???(???)
PID: 536
Thread: Unknown
Link (DyID) error

dyID: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin can't open library:/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno =2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you tried trashing them and reinstalling them?

OP
N
Reaction score
would trashing/reinstalling the apps mess with the files I had before? i.e. if I had to reinstall iPhoto, for example. What happens to all the pictures I've uploaded up to date? I can't see any of my libraries for the affected applications, and I'd hate to lose all those family photos. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The browser failures will not affect things like your photos BUT, if it were me, I'd get those photo libraries (folders?) on to a CD or flash drive first. Same with any other valued items. You say you "can't see any of my libraries". Photos are stored in User > Pictures > iPhoto Library. Are you saying that Library has disappeared?

Since you did an Archive & Install, none of the apps you had should have been affected, but their associated system files will have. That's why you should find a Previous System folder on your Mac HD (and you'll notice a significant reduction in HD capacity because you now have two Systems, one of which is no longer in use).

Try trashing both Safari and FFox prefs or, as suggested, remove both apps completely using a third-party app like CleanApp or AppCleaner, both of which will remove associated system files as well. Then reinstall the applications.

OP
N
Reaction score
The problem is now beyond Safari/ ffox. It's affected iPhoto, iTunes, everything in iLife (numbers, pages, garageband, keynote, iweb, etc.) the only apps I can access are finder, AIM, koalacalc, and email.

I found the Previous System folder, and tried finding the libraries there, but there is absolutely nothing for iphoto in there. I had the idea to do a string search for "Originals" and I think I found some of my photos, backing them up as I type. I'll see about reinstalling the applications, though I'm concerned, because my iLife was not installed from a CD, I purchased the online download from Apple, and I can't find that install file anywhere I look.

thanks for the help, hopefully something will stick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I know you'll have thought of this, but I pass on my experience after losing a truckload of good stuff after a HD problem. Get an external HD el pronto, pref in a firewire enclosure; also an external optical drive - if finances permit. Further, keep all installers, replacing them only when you decide to use an update, or deleting them only when you're sure you won't be using the app again. Even then, think twice, because in the case of updates, they can remove or overwrite your registration details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.