Windows resume loader

Reaction score
I have successfully used vista on my g5 imac but after windows crashed it left me with a black screen on resuming, without loading vista or OS, “Windows Resume Loader”, and leaving two options, “Continue with system resume”, and “Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu”. However the keyboard does not react at all, and neither option is selectable, a restart simply brings me back to the screen and holding down the option key during a restart does nothing. Other forums suggest for PCs that switching to a PS2 keyboard works, but I don’t know what the option for a mac would be, my current keyboard is wired usb.

Has anyone got a solution or know how to override the windows resume?

(my default OS has been set to Vista (temporarily) and I have a disc in my drive I cant eject as the keyboard is not operable…..)

thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know the answer to your question, but would be curious (as I am sure many others are also) as to how you installed Windows on your G5.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. Possibly I was not clear but I think I have done a 'standard' install of Vista via Bootcamp in Leopard on a partitioned drive, it was working okay until this problem occurred.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24" Imac
Thanks. Possibly I was not clear but I think I have done a 'standard' install of Vista via Bootcamp in Leopard on a partitioned drive, it was working okay until this problem occurred.

I think he was curious to know how you managed to install bootcamp onto a G5 mac? As far as i know this is impossible! Do you mean intel?

OP
M
Reaction score
Apologies for wasting your time, my imac is the first intel series....still got the problem though, using my wife's macbookpro in the meantime...not for long i suspect

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First thing I'd try would be a different keyboard.
Holding down the mouse button on boot will often eject a disk.

Once tried multiple keyboards and no response, it may not have been a Windows crash, but a hardware issue.
Very well could be time to take it to an Apple store and have them diagnose it.

Reaction score
Windows Resume Loader - Hibernation Coma Mac Pro

Hi there,

I found this post as i'm now looking for a solution!
I have a Mac Pro Xeon 10.6.4 with a NON-bootcamp (my friend insisted) Windows 7 32-bit install. I have 4 harddrives, and the windows install is completely on it's own 2 TB harddrive.

I had windows running, and left my computer on, and came back hours later, only to find it comatosed. Apparently it's to do with the hibernation feature. It's happened before, but if i just hard rebooted, i would be going again.
This time, I hard rebooted, chose to boot into Windows and then got the "Windows Resume Loader" screen. It gives two options -- "hit enter to resume" or "delete restorative... blah blah....". Only thing is, the keyboard is non-responsive. It just sits there. So you can't choose anything or hit Enter. And I had to reboot again.

I found another post with the same problem and a solution:

----------------------------------
From Apple - Support - Discussions - Windows 7 Resume Loader ...
I booted up OSX, then loaded the finder. Went to the Bootcamp partition and found a file called "hiberfil.sys"... I deleted that and restarted, this time booting into windows.

I still got a menu screen with no keyboard response, but this time it was the boot menu, with the default option set to "Start Windows Normally". Once the countdown on the page reaches 0, it will try to start Windows.

I found myself staring at a black screen for about two minutes, then my mac restarted itself. However, once it had done this I tried to boot into Windows 7 again and it did it without any problems.
----------------------------------------

Great solution - but I can't find the "hiberfil.sys" file on my harddrive.
I'm looking at the drive through finder on the mac, and I can't do a search, as the spotlight doesn't search my windows drive, so I have to locate it manually, unless there is a way to search for it?
I only find IO.sys, MSDOS.sys and config.sys. on the root.
The other potential problem is this: my windows harddrive is read-only. Now, I could remedy that with something like NTFS Mounter, and do read/write, but is there a way without installing that?

I do have an old pc, but i don't have a keyboard for it. I thought about throwing the harddrive into the pc, and booting it, and then maybe i could purchase a ps2 keyboard (do they even sell those anymore??). But I don't want to spend much money on a solution here -- further more, what if i purchase the keyboard, and it still doesn't work? So, a mac hardware solution would be most preferable.

I purchased Windows 7 only a month ago, so to have this occur is, well, a little dissapointing. I only use it because certain graphics and music programs are only available on Windows.

Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why didn't you turn off hibernate in your power settings when you first setup Windows 7? Hibernate is a feature that is almost never required for modern machines and simply uses hard drive space the size of your memory to store system contents for a quick start up.

The hiberfil.sys file is a hidden system read only file and will not show up to Spotlight in a search. The only way to unhide it is to boot to Windows and use the file Explorer to turn off the hidden system read only attributes. Catch 22!

You're just going to have to let loose with some money and buy a USB keyboard that you can use, or remove the hard drive and put it in a Win machine that's working. The other alternative is install NTFS mounter in OS X and see if you can delete the hiberfil.sys file that way. I doubt it will work but you can give it a try. NTFS mounter is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.