• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interesting Problem, help needed

Reaction score
I'm giving an old iMac to my mom. She plans on keeping the current operating system (I can't find the disk to reload Tiger). I, at one point, had certain files that I would not like her to find out about. I deleted them, however, I'm worried that at some point she might take the computer in to get repaired or something and the files will be brought to light. Is that even possible first of all? Secondly, is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That will only happen if they start using data recovery software. >_>"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Disk Utitlity

Select your startup drive in the left pane

Select 'Erase' on the right side and then select 'Erase Free Space'
There are several options, the first should be good enough.
It could take several hours depending on how much free space you have.

Would advise against using your computer while this is being done. Just let it sit. And read the warnings here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.