MacBook Pro... dead?

Reaction score
Hi people! Let's see if you can give me a hand with this, please.

I've got a MacBook Pro. I was using it, then I turned it off, then it didn't turn on - completely - anymore. Sad issue =(

I can hear the typical noise coming from the CD/DVD drive; I can feel the hard drive spinning and I've seen the coolers are running properly. Also, the status light remains on since I press the on / off button. And I don't know if this really adds, but the keyboard lights, such as capslock, cannot be turned on.

I've read about "blank screens" dut to GPU-related problems, but my MBP simply does not boot, otherwise I should be able to hear the chime.

I've thought about the RAM, but is it possible that both modules suddenly crash? I've tried changing slots and using only one RAM module at a time, but no luck...

Well then, that's what's been keeping me down lately. I'd really appreacite any kind of information.

Oh, and thanks in advanced!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Is it possible you have a dead gpu and your sound is muted so you don't hear the chime? I had the dead gpu issue with my MBP happen TWICE in the past year. Both times apple fixed it right away. If you have another mac on hand and you have screen sharing enabled on the broken computer, you should be able to screen share your way in.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your prompt reply!

That might be possible... but I think in that case the sleep indicator light would act normally; it should just turn off once the computer has started booting.

Besides, even if I can't see it, I should be able to wait for the computer to boot and then just press F5 to hear a sound, right?

I wish I had another MAC at hand, mate. But that's precisely the issue. No one around here has a MAC, and I'm really really far from getting to an Apple center where I live...

Any other suggestion? Perhaps the HD is damaged and so the computer cannot boot?

Reaction score
Hey Martinjamming,
i am searching through multiple Mac-forums on search for my MacBook Pro problem. Now i found your Post from Feb. 2009 and you discribe EXACTLY my problem!!! I can only add, that the USB-ports are also out of power.
Could you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE answer me what problem Turner out in the end with your Computer?
Thank you so much and excuse my english, I'm writing from Germany on my iPhone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok guys - what model of MBP? My 2.2 GHz MBP had video failure at 18 months - 6 months out of warranty - apple put in new Logic board - then new logic board seems to be an issue.
Check this out as well;
Apple Extends MacBook Pro NVIDIA GeForce Service Policy to Three Years

Here is report from Tech;
Confirmed intermittent issue with Fire wire port. Not always working. When computer arrived it would not show video at all. Performed SMC reset. Still no video. No video on external screen. Unable to perform pram reset therefore unable to use the GPT test. Advised with apple tsps and started computer while on minimal configuration. Computer turned On fine but still unable to load the GPT test. Then computer started behaving the same as before, no video. The only way to get it to start fine is to leave it off for few hours. Finally maged to get the GPT test to run but it passed. Suspecting Logic Board failure. Advised with Apple TSPS and they concluded the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.