• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

anyone use yellow dog?

J

jbsengineer

I just installed Yellow Dog Linux on my powerbook last night. I'm currently dual booting it. It's based on Fedora. I must say it's very nice. I have OS X, Linux, and Windows(VPC) on one little 12" powerbook. My co-workers drool....

Josh

OP
M

meltbanana314

jbsengineer said:
I just installed Yellow Dog Linux on my powerbook last night. I'm currently dual booting it. It's based on Fedora. I must say it's very nice. I have OS X, Linux, and Windows(VPC) on one little 12" powerbook. My co-workers drool....

Josh

YDL was around well before Fedora... back when Red Hat actually stood behind their products.

Debian and Gentoo Linux also have PPC versions, but the learning curve is infinitely steeper than that of YDL.

OP
C

Cloudane

I'm afraid I'm of the "if there's such a nice OS available on your platform, why would you run Linux?" crowd :D I did aim to try running it off an external firewire HDD, but surprise surprise the Linux bootstrap thing isn't quite that intelligent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
where'd u download yellow dog linux from?

the main webpage of YDL gives links to sites with a bunch of files. is there anywhere i can get an iso image file for cds?

thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.