Apple logo... but thats it

Reaction score
Hey Everyone(s),

I was on firefox yesterday and everything was fine. Screen froze so I ran a force quit. Since then, every time I turn on my MBP 2.0 GHz I hear the start up tone and then the apple logo pops up but then nothing. I've attempted a few start up commands, the only one that works is target disk mode. I've tried to boot from the OS X software, no dice. I took the battery out and discharged the capacitors and then tried to restart, no dice. I'm baffled at this point?

Any clues or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Did you try a PRAM reset?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have not tried that yet. I'll get back to you when I get in front of my computer again. Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
I tried the PRAM reset. The first try it went into the second attempt at the start up. I let go of the command keys after the second apple tone and I arrive at the same place again... the stalled apple logo. I re-attempted this again and now the PRAM reset doesn't work anymore.

I tried to use the disc utility maintenance and could not enter the mode.

Totally F ' ed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Are you able to boot into the Install Media at all?

OP
J
Reaction score
I cannot boot into anything. Target disc is the only mode I can arrive in by prompting any start-up commands. Anything I try fails to get me beyond the stalled apple logo.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I cannot boot into anything. Target disc is the only mode I can arrive in by prompting any start-up commands. Anything I try fails to get me beyond the stalled apple logo.

Insert your System Disc 1. Turn the computer off. Turn it back on and immediately after the screen turns gray, press and hold the Option key. Continue to hold it until you see a list of bootable media (it may take a long time). Then click the disc and boot from it.

If that doesn't work, your optical drive is bad or the disc is. Either way, it means a trip to the Apple Store.

OP
J
Reaction score
It never booted from the disc. Thanks for all the help everyone.

And, cwa107, I ended up voting. Thanks.

Alec

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.