MB '08 Ram upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium (al-oo-min-e-um) 2.4ghz, 250gb, 2gb DDR3 MB
Hi folks,

Being a Mac newb i have a question about upgrading the ram on my new aluminium MB 2.4ghz. I have a feeling that i might need an extra 2gb ram on top of the 2gb already installed as i will be using quite a few apps at once.

I have read the instructions as to how to do it, which looks very straightforward, but my question is this: seeing as each ram slot can handle 2gb each, does the MB come from apple with 1gb in each, or is just one slot filled with 2gb?

Reason i ask is to get a 2gb upgrade, do i buy 1x 2gb and just whack it in the other port, or do i need two whole new 2gb's??

Might be a very simple qn but hey an question is only easy if you know the answer, right!!

thanks in advance people

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple ships its notebook computers with both slots populated, so yes you will need to purchase 2 x 2 Gb modules. You can always sell the 2 x 1 Gb modules or save them.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium (al-oo-min-e-um) 2.4ghz, 250gb, 2gb DDR3 MB
i did wonder if they would, that's gr8 thanks.

Not sure if i'll bother just yet TBH, it runs like lightning with any application or programme as standard, an extra 2gb right now might be over-doing it a bit.

These new MBs certainly are powerful little machines, i'm chuffed to bits with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Just seeing if there has been any progress with the RAM upgrade. Im thinking of taking my 2.4Ghz Unibody 15" MBP from 2GB up to 4GB and was wandering if there is a noticeable difference in performance if any?

dtx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd
i only have 2GB in my MB 2.0GHz, and I've never filled it. Get iStat and run it during a normal day's use and see if you ever fill your Memory meter.
I'm new to Mac and am VERY impressed with how well it manages it's RAM. iTunes seems to be the worst app for eating memory. I'm sure the Pro apps would be pretty draining too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Just seeing if there has been any progress with the RAM upgrade. Im thinking of taking my 2.4Ghz Unibody 15" MBP from 2GB up to 4GB and was wandering if there is a noticeable difference in performance if any?
Just upgraded my MBP 2.4Ghz from 2Gb to 4Gb RAM and I can open more programs and run them a lot faster. However the reason for me upgrading was because I am a digital media artist (video editing, digital image manipulation) so you really need to look at what your doing with it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My experience with upgrading the RAM is that OS X will use RAM vs Virtual Memory based on what you have available for it. For 2 yrs, never used more than about 1.5 GB out of the 2 GB I had. My MBP can only use 3GB, and since upgrading, I am consistently seeing it use 2 - 2.5 GB running the same software as before.

Personally, best bang for the buck right now for you folks requiring DDR3 though, would have to be an upgrade from a 5400 to a 7200 RPM drive. This upgrade cut my boot time in half (among other things) and you can get a 320 GB 7200 RPM drive for about the same price as a 4GB kit of DDR3.

But, as True Bassist said, it really depends on what you're doing on your computer. A bunch of digital video/image manipulation, would go for the memory also.

Reaction score
I absolutely agree on hard drive speed. The faster, the better. Sacrifice some storage space in order to get a faster drive - it's worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.