Browser bumping: What you use and why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Kokopelli said:
do you mean from about:config setting

network.http.pipelining = true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests = 50 (or 100 depending on who you ask)

It seems to work in Windows, Mac, and Linux. Definitely helps in Winodws, seems to boost substantially in Mac, less so in Linux (Slack 10.1). I am not entirely certain if it makes a whole lot of difference or if it is just my expecting it to be faster though.

hi
how to u get into config setting in firefox to speed it up with pipelining etc
kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
solidstalin said:
If you use ff in windows, there is a thing you can do (i have a guide on it) that speeds it up 4 times mysteriously...
yea,it works on mac too, also known to websites, webservers, and webhosts as flooding a site/server and will get your ip banned from many many sites now that theyre cracking down on it. IOW, dont do it.

A

adiliegro

I used to use Firefox, but I get bored with the status quo a lot. I switched to Safari and am very happy with it. Not one thing wrong with Firefox, but like I said, I get bored.

K

Kokopelli

Heh, I have seen people saying to set it to 200. I have it set at 50 but then again don't use Firefox thus I guess I don't get banned. :)

EDIT: I think I'll lower it to 5 just in case I start using Firefox again.

F

flyingpostman

While Safari is nice, I prefer Firefox for one reason: click-hold on a link options. This is a great way to open links in a new tab (especially with a one button mouse, besides middle wheel click with a wheel mouse doesn't work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Im a safari since it was released :)

T

Thud

Firefox, because of the plugins available, and it's easier to switch back and forth between windows and mac (firefox on both).

I just loaded Camino, it's much faster than FF. I haven't tried the G4-optimized build of Firefox yet, hopefully that will bring the best of both worlds, because Firefox definitely is the slowest browser on my mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Definitely Firefox with many extensions :) Like "Tabbrowser Extensions", "FoxyTunes", "Web Developer", "TargetAlert", "Link Toolbar", "Autofill", "SEOpen"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
pretty straight Safari user...FF as a backup then lastly IE. I'm glad I got my friend on to FF on his PC...tabbed browsing is a blessing

I

i86i11

I like safari because it's just a web browser...... I'm so tired of all these applications trying to do it all...

I've only used Safari and Firefox though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I use safari for 99.9% of my web browing and I use Camino for IE oriented sites that Safari disagrees with.

-Chris

G

gtee

Camino

I am a recent switcher so this thread is really interesting to me. As already mentioned - the browsers available to mac users is an important aspect to consider when 'switching'.

As an ex Windows user - I used Firefox - although I 'contracted' the dreaded ...'can't find server' bug. I originally used Safari when my new imac arrived [which I liked] but tried Firefox out of an old curiousity. I don't like it - I know it has extensions and themes - but I felt like I was still using Windows - horrible.

I then tried Omniweb - which I liked but a bit too 'candy' for me. Now I mostly ue Camino. fast, stable and not 'Windows-like'.

I probably would prefer to stick to Safari but it is a little slow compared to Camino.

M

m-sambo

On windows I use Firefox. Don't own a mac *yet* but will probably use Camino/Safari when I do.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I've not yet found any reason not to use Safari all the time. The only site I've had problems with is yousendit.com, for sending large email attachments, but this doesn't work in IE on the Mac either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Firefox, i dont really like Safari, i was thinking about getting Opera once...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I use Firefox mainly because it's the only browser that works really well on my college's ethernet conncetion.

Also, Firefox is sooo pretty and I like the search bar that uses multiple search engines.

M

meltbanana314

I have to come out of the closet now as a Camino convert. Safari's memory leaks were beginning to irritate me, so I switched to Camino's optimized builds (http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/Camino.html)

Camino is slightly speedier than Safari (but not quite to the level of Firefox) and it has better cookie handling than Safari as well. I like it.

L

loudy149

FIRE FOX i never touch sarfie or ie have you deen to the fire fox extions page lately just look at all the new cool stuff with you browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.