Browser bumping: What you use and why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac Intel 2 GB OS 10.5.8, Powerbook sys 10,4.11, iPod Touch 2nd gen, OS4
Browser use

Recently got a G5 iMac and now Safari can get to almost all sites. (I use to use Explorer as a last resort, but no more) I surf a lot and like art. The browser type I use depends on what I want to do with the file(have a dial up) so I tend to save stuff. Here is what I have found:
Browser STORAGE characteristics:

FireFox using cut/paste results in a plain txt document. Saves all data infolders.
iCab using cut/paste results in a rich text RTF document. Saves with a good Archive
Safari using cut/paste results in a rich text RTFD document. Saves text only.
1. Does anyone else use iCab?
2. Now that I found that I can cut/paste to TextEdit Safari is much more useful.

S

shew

use safari because of its integration - i like the way that when I'm away I can access my safari bookmarks (ok, this is more to do with .mac, but as it doesnt work with any other browser...)

its even little things such as when i'm chatting to friends via MSN (using AdiumX) I can just click on a little button and send them a link to the page i'm currently viewing in Safari.

On the odd occasion that safari doesnt work i either tell safari to lie and pretend to be IE (using the Debug menu) or use Camino.

Reaction score
For 95% of users, Safari is the best option. This is because it is OS intergrated. You will notice that it is faster than all the other browsers out there.

Reaction score
djlee12 said:
For 95% of users, Safari is the best option. This is because it is OS intergrated. You will notice that it is faster than all the other browsers out there.

For those of us that routinely use multiple operating systems, something portable is usually easier. I don't find Safari to be faster but I build my own firefox with code and compiler optimizations.

You also get the ability to use extensions with
Firefox and the best part is that you can build it
yourself and make changes to the browser yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
I use Safari, FireFox and Camino, but have problems with ALL

Safari - Only Browswer that allows me to play Pacific Poker (I am addicted, it works kinda on FireFox, but noto n Camino). But recently I have been having crashes with it.

FireFox - worked fine for everything except it was SO bloody slow

Camino - Love it, but it crashes on me ALL the time... going to try and find another build (using 1.0a1).

Anyone else experiencing crashes/freezes with Camino and Tiger?

I have a 1.5 GHZ, 1.5 GIG RAM G4 Powerbook.

/edit another thing I miss while going from Safari to Camino is pressing "apple 1,2,3" for bookmarks 1,2 or 3... anyway to get this on camino?

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
LastZion said:
Camino - Love it, but it crashes on me ALL the time... going to try and find another build (using 1.0a1).

Anyone else experiencing crashes/freezes with Camino and Tiger?

I have a 1.5 GHZ, 1.5 GIG RAM G4 Powerbook.

/edit another thing I miss while going from Safari to Camino is pressing "apple 1,2,3" for bookmarks 1,2 or 3... anyway to get this on camino?

Incidentally, have you tried Phoenix's G4-optimized builds? They're listed on the mozillazine forums. I've always loved 'em, though I am a little biased becuase I designed him the appicon. :p

Reaction score
I use both Safari and FF, but mostly FF.. I use FF because it's faster, can do anything you want with all the extensions, even watch videos on Launch.. The only reason I use to use Safari is because of the built in spell checker, but now FF has one.. FF hands down gets my vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Safari because it's the only browser that has the zoom button do what I think all Mac browsers should have their zoom button do.

J

jy106

I switched to firefox a couple of weeks ago; it kept jumping back to the last page unexpectedly.

Reaction score
I have had problems with most browsers on my Mac. IE, Safari, Firefox and Netscape can not cope with certain Javas and Applets.
For example, this site looks a mess viewed through any of those browsers and you have no chance of holding a chat..
www.chat-a-go-go.co.uk

Until I was recommended a slick browser called OPERA. Opera works fine!

Anyone else use Opera?

Tc

Reaction score
started off with safari as i am a recent switcher to osx but after reading about it on another forum got into camino. it is marginally faster than safari and i have not looked back since. yet to try firefox on a mac but it is my sole browser in winxp.

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TangoCharlie said:
I have had problems with most browsers on my Mac. IE, Safari, Firefox and Netscape can not cope with certain Javas and Applets.
For example, this site looks a mess viewed through any of those browsers and you have no chance of holding a chat..
www.chat-a-go-go.co.uk

Anyone else use Opera?

Tc

I've actually heard horrible things about Opera, incidentally; slow load times, beach balls, and things of that sort. I've never actually tried it, though. Interesting to hear good things about it now, so long after it had been dismissed. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Edit: You're absolutely right. Opera handles Java very well. If I used java stuff much I might keep it in reserves. It still kinda suffers on load times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Meyvn said:
Incidentally, have you tried Phoenix's G4-optimized builds? They're listed on the mozillazine forums. I've always loved 'em, though I am a little biased becuase I designed him the appicon. :p

Yeah they are great! I am using them right now! Great work, thank you!

Can you help me with my other question?

Is it possible to activate a keyboard shortcut for my bookmarks in Camino?
That is the only thing I miss from Safari. Is being able to press apple 1 to get to my first bookmark, apple 2 for the second and so on.

Thanks

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, as that feature seems to be a minority thing, I don't think Camino as yet has a way of implementing it. I'd imagine there is a third party program on MacUpdate or Versiontracker that will allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts within programs (much like Griffin's PowerMate), but I'm not entirely certain. What I would recommend doing is going into Bugzilla, and reporting that as a "feature" bug. If other people feel the same way you do, it may get prioritized.

I

IcerC

I tried safari..but it feels too apple for me..(iono im a windows user as well)
i loved Opera more than anything until one day it went crazy and i went crazy.

It's FF all the way know(but sadly it does crash somtimes.

A

Aarow

TangoCharlie said:
www.chat-a-go-go.co.uk

Anyone else use Opera?

Tc

YESSSS!

Reaction score
I now use Opera to sail and surf above all those java sites and Camino as my default as its just sooo **** fast!

Tc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.