Guitar effects

Cos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, second to latest generation
Hi there

I was wondering if you could help me find something (First post here, so apologies if this is the incorrect forum)

I am looking for some software which I can use to manipulate the sound of the input. For example, if I plug my guitar into the line in socket, I'd like to be able to add different effects to it on the fly as it were (In other words, I'd like to be able to change the sound while I play, rather than recording something then editing that.)

I am using an Intel Mac with the very latest version of OSX.

Thanks in advance

-Cos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You can use a POD from Line6.

Reaction score
I have the line 6 toneport and it sounds as accurate as a computer can, but from what I understand Logic is really good for on the fly stuff if you have the cash, I ordered logic express (eventually going to upgrade) and I'll see how that works out. I Know the Studio version has live software in it, I hope there's some of it in express.

-later

OP
C

Cos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine has Logic Studio 8, so I might pester him for a go :p

Another question which is probably quite stupid: If I were to plug my guitar into my MB, how can I get just the clean sound to play out through the speakers? So I want it to act as a kind of amp?

OP
C

Cos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
If you're on a new Mac you should have iLife which means you'll have Garage Band - use that! Has a bunch of effects/settings built in for guitar, and it's easy to use - you just need to make sure you've got monitoring on to be able to hear as you play.

Like the guys say, Line6 gear is good (there are other things you could use) but I wouldn't advise spending cash until I had an idea exactly what you're looking to do - from what you've said Garage Band should be a good starting point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.