G5 iMac - SuperDrive won't burn DVDs any more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
My G5 imac has recently stopped burning to DVD, regardless of what method I try to use - this seemed to start about 2 months ago.

I initially thought it was a software problem - I was burning DVDs using VisualHub quite happily until then, and then one day it didn't write.

Then last week I tried to burn a Data DVD from itunes - again, no luck.

Finally I've tried using Disk Utility and also Burn to burn a dmg image - none of these work.

Strangely I can still burn to CD.

My Drive is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846

Is a replacement drive my only option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
"Oh dear, not another one" :( [I sometimes think I should keep a record of the number of Matshita failures in Macs]. Your optical drive problem *may* be fixable with a commercial lens cleaning disk, but since the laser works on CDs, that's unlikely. If you're going to replace the drive, and that does look likely, then try to get a Pioneer KO6, or its successor, the KO8. Sony also make a slim CD drive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers - I'll try a lens cleaner - I forgot to mention that it reads DVDs no problem either, just wont write to them.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As this is an old(ish) machine I'm considering just buying an external DVD writer rather than getting the internal fixed - am I right in thinking I will have to buy a Firewire compatible one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.