XP SP3 problem on install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
Hi,

I bought myself XP pro SP3 (for christmas!) and have had problems isntalling it. Everything goes fine until my late '08 (white) macbook (10.5.6) restarts, then it says that there is a disk error on the windows partition, and booting from the XP disc results in a flashing underscore in the top left corner, which did not move onto anything else. I left it for about 10 minutes to see what would happen but nothing changed.

I went for a 10GB partition, but have now deleted it to start again fresh. Any pointers as to where I may have gone wrong? As far as I know I followed the instructions.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
I would suggest going with a larger partition (not 10 GB). I was not able to get BC 2.1 to install on my computer. I was also informed that I really don't need BC 2.1 because I am using Windows XP and not Vista. You should be okay with Windows XP SP2, as long as you keep doing the critical updates from Microsoft. I ordered the SP3 CD from Microsoft, but I don't have the nerve right now to try to do the install. However, there will come a time when we will need to this update.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just looked at Bootcamp 2.1, it appears to a .exe file, but I can't get further into the install of XP than restarting before booting in windows, so can't even open and install the bootcamp update. Also, Calistoga, I don't have SP2, just a single disc SP3.

Will try again soon and get back, any other help would be greatly appreciated!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the double post, but I've tried again thismorning, this time foing for 25GB NTFS Windows partition. Exactly the same problems. Up til the reboot into windows it goes fine, then says there is a disk error on the windows partition. Though booting from the disk went into full XP installation, stating that there was another OS on that drive (the previous installation of XP) so I overwrote that, as it said I could (and should) then exactly the same problem with the windows partition happened. Should I try formatting it as a FAT volume instead?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, apologies for the (tripple) post. It has been reccommended to me from another forum that I do a complete OSX re-install. Obviously i will have to reinstall each of the programs i have installed, but is there anything else i need to know? do i just insert the osx disc and install, and it overwrites what's already there? I have all data I need backed up in at least 2 places so this is a viable option if it is thought that it would work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, check to make sure the copy of XP Pro SP3 is eligible for use in BC. It must be a full install version, genuine MS Boxed or full install OEM system builder's version. You can not use an upgrade version (which is less expensive).

The size of the BC partition (minimum 5 Gb) or the format should not prevent the installation. You can choose either FAT-32 or NTFS.

BTW, why did you choose to purchase the Pro version? There is absolutely no advantage to running Pro over Home unless you intend to join a domain or you need the added security of using encryption.

Post back.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, check to make sure the copy of XP Pro SP3 is eligible for use in BC. It must be a full install version, genuine MS Boxed or full install OEM system builder's version. You can not use an upgrade version (which is less expensive).

Yes, it is a full XP Pro SP3 install version, not an upgrade.

The size of the BC partition (minimum 5 Gb) or the format should not prevent the installation. You can choose either FAT-32 or NTFS.

This is as I thought, thanks for confirming it.

BTW, why did you choose to purchase the Pro version? There is absolutely no advantage to running Pro over Home unless you intend to join a domain or you need the added security of using encryption.

Post back.

Regards.

I had pro on my last PC laptop, and wasn't sure of the differences between pro and home. So as I knew pro did what I wanted went with pro.

If there is anything else that can help anyone diagnose my problem I'll gladly try and help with giving it to them!

Should a full reinstall help at all?

Stef

Reaction score
You do not need to reinstall OSX. If you can boot Windows into safe mode, then install the 2.1 update, you should be ok. If you can't boot into windows at all, that would be consistent with what I've found. From what I can tell, you can't install XP SP3 directly in Boot Camp. You need to install SP2, then download the Boot Camp 2.1 update, and then download and install the SP3 upgrade. I don't think it works directly from an SP3 disk because (1) 2.1 is a windows executable and requires a running version of XP SP2 to install, and (2) if you don't have SP2, you can't install it - catch 22.

If I was you, I'd return the SP3 disk and get an SP2 disk, which will install fine.

You can install SP3 directly in Fusion or Parallels, however, based on their latest software.

I could be wrong on this - others should chime in. I had XP SP2, so did not have to address this issue.

Good luck.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks Sammy. I can't boot XP. At all. On booting the laptop, after everything up to the reboot has been done, I get a message saying disc error, and pressing alt and choosing the CD, just gives me the blue install screen again, should I go through this and chose one of the options that isn't install XP? I haven't really thought about that yet.

Would getting in contact with Apple be a good idea and see if they can help? Or even (god help it) microsoft?!

If I definitely can't do it it'll be off to get a replacement!

Thanks for everyone's help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks Sammy. I can't boot XP. At all. On booting the laptop, after everything up to the reboot has been done, I get a message saying disc error, and pressing alt and choosing the CD, just gives me the blue install screen again, should I go through this and chose one of the options that isn't install XP? I haven't really thought about that yet.

Would getting in contact with Apple be a good idea and see if they can help? Or even (god help it) microsoft?!

If I definitely can't do it it'll be off to get a replacement!

Thanks for everyone's help.

SammySlim is correct about SP3 not working with Boot Camp. (Something I had overlooked - sorry.)

Return the XP SP3 version if you can. Most vendors will balk at allowing the return of opened software especially if it's an operating system which must be activated by a product key. Not sure if they will allow you to trade it for SP2.

If you can't return it, get on the net and buy an OEM System Builder's full install copy of XP Home SP2. You should be able to find it at around $85 to $90 US. Then you can try to sell your XP Pro SP3 on eBay or locally using Craig's List.

Do not contact Microsoft, they will not help. Apple may be of some help but I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing that you already found out here.

Good luck and regards.

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can download XP SP2. I need to get my mess straightened out tonight

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SCPaver, you can only buy sp2. Unless you download an (illegal) torrent.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm going to email Apple and see what they can say. But I'm expecting to have to get a different copy of XP.

Stef

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
Does anyone know where I can download XP SP2. I need to get my mess straightened out tonight
Microsoft has stopped selling Windows XP. However, I think you can still get a copy of Windows XP SP2 from TigerDirect or NewEgg.

Reaction score
Yes Tiger, CDW, and others... Many on eBay if you can trust them.

I did indeed speak with someone from MS Presales; Jeff. He was very nice, sent me to a MS Support page that listed all the approved re-sellers that might still have XP, took the time to explain in depth the difference between Retail, OEM, and Volume licenses. I think he had a Mac at home :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.