Mac OS X Leopard System Restore

Reaction score
Hi All

About to system restore my Mac OS X Leopard laptop.

Some questions:

(I have Time Machine)
How do I restore all my Emails and RSS feeds after System Restore?

If I drag and drop my Firefox3 icon from Time Machine to Apps after System Restore will I have all my old FF plugins, toolbars, etc

Also, Im sure Im going to regret this but it needs done. has anyone restored their system before? can you point out anything i should consider before doing a restore?

many thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Once you finish installing OS X, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. Do so, then choose the option to migrate documents/data/settings from a Time Machine backup.

Also, do note that most UNIX-based operating systems never require a reinstall. This is a bad habit that many who are used to life with Windows routinely do. Since there is no registry with OS X, there is no "Windows rot". A reinstall is not usually ever necessary unless there is a hardware failure, or unless someone has purposely undermined the OS (very difficult to do).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
When using the migration assistant do you have options on what is transfered? Can you choose not to reinstall certain programs and settings?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When using the migration assistant do you have options on what is transfered? Can you choose not to reinstall certain programs and settings?

It does give you some options, but I don't believe it's so granular that you can pick and choose what specific settings to copy and what not to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.