macs and vonage voip wireless routers...

Reaction score
hi all-

i have a vonage d-link wireless router with an imac hooked up via ethernet, and two macbooks (both running leopard) linked via wireless.

while one laptop is in a separate structure (an office not in the main house), and the other is upstairs in a bedroom, neither are more than 50 feet away from the router, and neither get full signal.

before you ask, i didn't encase the router in a hermetically sealed lead box.

i was told an airport express could be used as a repeater or a signal booster but when i spoke with mac tech support on the phone they said "no".

i asked if mac made an airport with voip capabilities, and tech support said "no".

:Grimmace:

is it just me or is tech supports' favorite word "no"?

what can i do?

thank you in advance for any help offered!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
The express will work as a range extender in an all-Apple network (so it can do it). It will also work with some non-Apple devices, but YMMV.

The Airport extreme will do what you want out of the box. Many other (cheaper) wireless routers can be configured to extend a wireless network as well.
Scott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.