• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Strange Apple Mac? What is it?

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Hi,
I have found out about this computer.
What does it do?
How Old?
How much memory, Hard Drive etc...

Apple_I.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That would be an original 8-bit Apple I computer, the computer that launched Apple in the late 70's. It was fairly limited as I believe it used a teletype instead of a monitor (I might be mistaken in this regard). It's successor, the Apple II was Apple's first commercially successful computer, roughly comparable to a Commodore 64.

It had no hard drive, probably just a few KB of memory.

Check out Wikipedia, there's a world of information out there.

Apple I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, there were no consumer level hard drives then.

OP
MacintoshMaster
Reaction score
Where can I buy one from?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
weren't they just kits? i didn't think apple even sold an actual complete apple I did they?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
weren't they just kits? i didn't think apple even sold an actual complete apple I did they?

According to Wikipedia, they did sell some pre-assembled.

Reaction score
Where can I buy one from?

I bought one of it's successors; the Apple IIe 64k, with green screen, and twin 5.25in drive, to run an accounting system in 1983. And God was it horrible!

Whilst you might want one for nostalgia value, it will not do anything remotely interesting or valuable for a modern Mac user.

I'd let sleeping technology die.

OP
MacintoshMaster
Reaction score
I bought one of it's successors; the Apple IIe 64k, with green screen, and twin 5.25in drive, to run an accounting system in 1983. And God was it horrible!

Whilst you might want one for nostalgia value, it will not do anything remotely interesting or valuable for a modern Mac user.

NERER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yeah, you really ought to tell that to the Smithsonian, which is where the picture at the top was taken. I'm sure they have no idea what a hunk of obsolete junk they have in their collection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.