DVD Stuck in Mac Mini - Tried everything...PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Hi,
I (like a fool) put my mac pro install dvd into my mac mini with hope to install leopard. I got the error message "cannot install on this computer" due to this being the wrong disk for the mini. but at the time I was unsure of why I was getting this error so I went ahead and used the disk utility tool on the install disk to format the hard drive in my machine, thinking that the previous install may be what is causing the error. Obviously, I was still getting the error. So now I have a completely blank HD with the wrong apple install disk in my dvd drive. I need to get the disk out, and I have tried every usual way to eject the disk and nothing works. That includes holding click on the mouse during startup, holding eject, holding cmd+opt+o+f, and every other possible method I could find in the forums.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
There are options, just one for now.

With the Mini going, get another and old, unused CD and push it in, ever-so-slightly tilted, on the edge of the dvd that is stuck there. This *may* activate the eject function.

Let us know if this works, if not, we can offer further advice.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks alot for your reply..
..just tried it but it doesnt seem to be working, tried tilting in all directions but its not doing anything!

OP
A
Reaction score
I GOT IT OUT!

thanks for your help..your method worked in the end.

Reaction score
Help!!

The same scenario here with iMAC!!! im not sure the CD-tek will help. The DVD slot seems very closed and the disk spinning! =/
-- UPD ---
THE SOLUTION

1) Turn the Mac off.
2) Insert credit card in the slot and hold it to to prevent disk from spinning
3) Computer will automatically spit the disk out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Fixed a stuck disk for a friend just the other day. He'd used a credit card, but too much pressure, the wrong edge, plus one little slip, and it too disappeared into the slot.

Stacks of of bought CDs come with a clear, blank plastic protective disk on top of them. I used that, tilted ever-so-slightly to one side, to pressure the stuck CD in the old iMac. There was a horrible grinding noise, but eventually the jammed CD came out just far enough to grasp the edge. Luckily, one corner of the credit card also appeared. Almost a happy ending, but the optical drive is damaged and will need replacing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.