skiing/snowboarding photography

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
skiing/snowboarding photography[edit]

Woops...sorry about that!!

I meant to post:

I have never done any skiing/snowboarding photography before and my friend has asked me to photograph him in a professional skiing competition he is taking part in tomorrow. He will be doing jumps, rails, etc.

My questions are:

1. What should I set my metering mode at? multi-segment, center weighted, or spot???

2. Should I set my auto focus mode to continuous AF since i will want it to keep focusing as I am shooting??

3. Should I use a wide angle lense of my 70-200 zoom lens?

4. Is there anything specific I need to adjust on my camera? I understand I need a fast shutter speed for still shots, and I know how to pan.

5. Any other tips or hints would be perfect!!!

Thank you very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
How did it go? Ideally you'd want 400mm-600mm unless you're standing right up on him. Servo AF, fastest burst rate. I would just chimp the first few shots with the histogram to get the snow exposed and see how that matches to the skier. Maybe bump it up a bit if the skier is underexposed and try not to completely blow out the snow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
Id also love to see a few, I took my DSLR Snowboarding with me, and got a few good shots, as long as I wasnt moving :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'd very rarely suggest kit on these types of questions, usually a bit of creativity will beat the need for kit, but photography on snow is hard enough at the best of times, but with a fast moving target from distance, you really have your work cut out. Depending on how far you are away, I'd say you'd want 300mm effective (35mm equiv), but more importantly a fast shutter... that usually means expensive and requires very fast AF on the longer lens, especially considering the narrow DoF.

You need to experiment; for exmaple if you're shooting upwards (i.e. the sky will be the background) and it's overcast, you'll probably be fine with multi; but if the snow is more than 1/3 of frame, I'd go for spot and under expose 1/3 (shoot in RAW and fix it later if required).

I agree with VI, servo AF is a given and if your continuous shoot is fast enough, you might want to do bracketing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.