Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 Bluetooth Notebook Mouse with the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Im thinking of getting the Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 Bluetooth Notebook Mouse and was wandering if any members on here have had any experiences with this mouse. Im choosing this over the Apple Mighty Mouse as reviews for the Mighty Mouse seem sketchy:eek:

Compare and contrast anyone ??????????

Reaction score
I've used both. I prefer the MS BlueTooth mouse because it has a better feel and can be set for incredibly fast tracking. It seems like the Apple mouse caps out at about 50% of the tracking speed of the MS mouse. It just feels big and bulky, too. The only complaints I have about the MS mouse is that the scroll wheel is sometime difficult to use without unintentionally depressing the wheel, which invokes different functionality altogether. Also, I lose BlueTooth connectivity with my MacBook Pro every now and then, forcing me to either reset BlueTooth or reconnect with the Mouse, which is annoying and frustrating. I never had that problem with the MightyMouse. If you're accustomed to using a wired MightyMouse on other Mac systems, the size of the MS mouse might feel a bit odd to you. In addition, if you use a wired MightyMouse when you're "home" with your laptop and a BT mouse when you're on the road, if the BT mouse you're using is not an Apple MightyMouse, you'll probably have to adjust the tracking speed every time you switch mice.

M. McConnell

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know the OP's post is earlier this year but for anyone wondering I will post this. I bought a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 about 2 months ago. So far I like it. I have smallish hands and love the small size of it. I have read a lot of negative reviews but so far mine has been very solid. I like that extra side button also which I have set to trigger Expose. Not one issue so far.

On that pushing Scroll Wheel without pressing center button, pretty much every mouse like this I have owned has had that issue to an extent. On my Logitech Bluetooth mouse I actually took out the spring and expanded it a bit but still if I was in a hurry I would trigged the center button.

I purchased the Microsoft mouse as it's so hard in my area at least to find any Bluetooth mice for sale!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro/2.53 C2D/4GB
How does one turn off the trackpad when using a mouse. I have the above mentioned Microsoft 5000 BT mouse, but can't figure out how to turn off the trackpad.

Went to the trackpad area under System Preferences, but didn't see a means to turn it off when the mouse is active.

Suggestions? MacBook Pro 13' Mac OS 10.5.8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Trackpad

very bottom of the box - put a check next to:

Ignore trackpad when mouse is present

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.