My G5 is on the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
I have just bought a G5 off e-bay. It is the 1.6ghz model with 1.25 gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive and superdrive. I do have a couple of questions....

It says that you should use DDR 333 but I have a couple of half gig sticks of DDR 400. I think they are backwards compatible but will they work?

I plan on adding another hard drive but see you need special screws to mount it. I doubt these will be included. Does anyone have any of these spare lying about?

It has tiger installed with ILife. I did plan on installing Leopard, would this still run well?

Thx in advance

Plod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB
Memory that is compatible with your G5 is PC2700 333. So i guess that your 400 doesn't work. And of course Leopard would run well and will run well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
On a normal desktop PC, yes, the memory would work. I can't guarantee that for a Mac though, but memory is pretty cheap from Crucial so you could pick up a couple of gig from them - just remember it must be installed in pairs.

The screws for adding an additional hard drive are inside the case, I really can't see the last owner taking them out. They are on the right of the HDD cage at the top of the case.

As Viizei says, Leopard will run fine on the Mac. Ofcourse the more memory the better. My dual 2.7 G5 has 2.5Gb and it seems to run fast enough, however sitting with just mail, safari and iTunes open I only have 1Gb of RAM free so the more the better as always.

Hope that helps and congrats on your purchase. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB
however sitting with just mail, safari and iTunes open I only have 1Gb of RAM free so the more the better as always.

Off topic sorry: OS X uses as much as possible of memory available am I right? It doesn't leave memory free so much. So the more you have RAM.. the faster your Mac is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.