usb upgrade

Reaction score
hi i really wanna upgrade my ports to usb2, ive been trying to google how to do this and im guessing i need a pci usb card, but they look hard to install on my emac, is there any external one you can buy, or any software that will upgrade the port, sorry im new to all this.thanks

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Hi again!
What you Might want is a USB hub.
If you click on the link below it will show you one!

USB 2.0 Aluminum 4 Port Cylinder Mini Hub UK Seller on eBay, also USB 2.0 Hubs, USB Hubs, Cables Connectors, Computing (end time 24-Jan-09 13:10:52 GMT)

But it would be best if you installed USB 2 into you computer.
If you get someone to do it for you (e.g computer shop) it would be best.
If you don't build it into your computer you might still get some problems.
pci usb card would stop all problems as a Hub won't.

Hope This Helps!
John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may be out of luck

That hub is usb 2 but youe emacs connection is still usb 1, so you wont get any speed increase.

Even a USB / Firewire hub will not work since they are separate buses, you will see any firewire devices connected but only see other usb devives attached to the hub via the emacs usb 1 ports, again restricting the whole usb bus down to usb 1 speeds

You cannot install a PCI card in to an emac either.

The only way to connect USB 2 devices to the eMac is via some sort of networked hard drive, connecting to the eMac via fast ethernet

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Yes I agree, I never thought about that!
I think the computer isn't very good as a main computer.
It is going to be really hard to get USB 2
If "I" was you I would get a new Mac.
The computer was made a long long time ago and wasn't designed for the stuff out now,
I have got A iMac G3 for for pounds and that will have USB 1 but I don't mind as I won't use it as my main computer.
I have 3 other computer as my main one.
Do you use you e-mac as your main computer.
I wanted to upgrade processors, memory ect on my G3 but they are just to old.
I'll use my G3 for a bit of internet and microsoft word.
There is no simple way to get USB 2 on you e-mac or even onmy G3.
I don't know if the iMac G4 - G5 has USB 2 but the new ones have it.
The only way is to do it on a network but e-macs arn't really "fast" on the internet.
I don't know if you could put a PCI in if you change the motherboard, processor.
I don't know if the ROM in your computer will allow USB 2 but I'm not sure.
I think it is going to be extreamly extreamly hard to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Louishen is absolutely right, and not just in respect of the eMac. USB1 is not and has never been forward compatible - or upgradeable if you prefer - except by use of a PCI card. USB2 will accommodate USB 1.1, at USB1 speed of 12 Mb/s, but not the other way.

If eMac is your preferred computer, search for one that either has USB2 (Oct 2003 onward, 1.0 or 1.25 GHz), or better still the 1.42 GHz, because it no longer had the notorious eMac capacitor problem.

Best reference resource I know is Mactracker Mactracker - get info on any Mac to search out which computer models had USB2 (which was introduced in 2003).

Reaction score
I have an eMac and when I tried to copy music from iTunes onto my iPod, the music downloaded fine but there is a major problem with transferring the album artwork, which appears next to only a minority of files in each menu.

Would having a 1.1 speed USB port instead of a 2.0 cause that kind of problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
What model of eMac do you have?

I may be guessing here, but doesn't artwork get loaded when you play the track and are connected? In other words, you need a 'net connection to get the artwork to your iPod.

Incidentally, you've come in on a rather old thread, so if you get no joy with answers, repost in Software, with an amended thread title.

Reaction score
Thanks hughvane. Yes I've started two threads already in the iPod section. I have a Mac OSX 10.4.11

I'm very new to this so please clarify. Are you saying that I simply repeat sync process while online? If there's more to it please explain. Do you think my slow USB port theory has any merit?

A. Luddite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying that I simply repeat sync process while online?

I think so. USB 1.1 shouldn't affect that other than slower speed for anything you're doing online via external devices, eg. your iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.