help

Reaction score
hi i have a freecom classic series dvd rw external and when i plug it in to my emac 9 times out of ten it doesnt work but every once and in a while it does, does anyone have any tips for how to get this to work all the time, i have looked for drivers and stuff. thanks hope i have posted in the right place as this is my first post.

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Hi,
I have done a reasearch for you and I have found out that it doesn't work that well on USB 1.
The reviews on this prduct arn't too good Either.
USB1 isn't very good at reliability.

Did the item come with any drivers?
If so,
I would re-install them.
I can't find any drivers for it.
Are you sure that it is mac compatible?
Try putting it in a USB 2 socket and if it works then it's the USB 1.
I am quite sure that emacs come with USB 1 (My iMac G3 has USB 1)
Or the USB socket might Either be rusty, dusty, or just faulty.
Hope this helps,
John

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks john, yeah my emac only has usb 1 thats prob why its temperamental then, i didnt buy this dvd rw it was given to me so im not to fussed its just annoying that it worked and now doesnt, thanks for your help mate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dean Firewire works much, much faster on Macs than USB, even USB2. PowerPC's are bootable from external drives using Firewire. All eMacs come with Firewire, at least Firewire 400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
my emac only has usb 1 thats prob why its temperamental then, i didnt buy this dvd rw it was given to me so im not too fussed its just annoying that it worked and now doesn't.

Dean, the drive will work with USB1, but only for playback, burning is not supported under USB1. The FC requires a high-speed (480 Mb) USB2 port. See if this site Freecom Classic DVD+/-RW Double Layer : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk (click the more link beside the image) helps.

It doesn't appear that you can use the FC drive with firewire, so you're back to looking for a USB2 Mac (as advised in your other post).

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Dean, the drive will work with USB1, but only for playback, burning is not supported under USB1. The FC requires a high-speed (480 Mb) USB2 port. See if this site Freecom Classic DVD+/-RW Double Layer : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk (click the more link beside the image) helps.

It doesn't appear that you can use the FC drive with firewire, so you're back to looking for a USB2 Mac (as advised in your other post).

NO,
USB1 if not reliable at all.
But yes,
If you got a firewire to USB 2 adaptor that would be the best option "or" get a new firewire RW.
Nothing works well on USB 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.