• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't get any codec to work with iMovie (OS X 10.3.9)

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This is a rather old macintosh computer, which has been upgraded to Mac OS X Leopard (v10.3.9). A friend of ours, who is much more knowledgable about Macs than we are, told us 10.5 would be too much for a Mac with just 300 MB memory.

The harddisk only is 30 Gb, leaving little room for flexibility when I edit my videos here. This is the only computer in the family with FireWire ports, hence I need to use this.

The file size of the iMovie file alone is a little over 10 Gb, leaving only 10Gb for an export file. This means I MUST codec it while exporting, or it'll be too big for our harddrive. Therefore I installed DivX for mac, and according to Google, I should be able to export movies as DivX avi now. However, there is no DivX option at all to be found under the Export option, nothing has changed at all in the Export options after installing DivX.

What am I doing wrong? Should I do something specific to make iMovie recognize DivX? Is this because we do not have version 10.5? What can I do to make it work? I have QuickTime 6.4. I tried upgrading it, but the site said the minimum requirement was OS X 10.5 for Leopard and 10.4.something for Tiger (I'm not even sure if I should install a Tiger software at all on Leopard), so I didn't dare to. I'm using iMovies 3.0.3.

Thanks a million!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will have to encode the movie as Quicktime MOV or MPEG 4 for now, iMovie does not have DivX support built in

If you really need it to end up bring a DivX AVI file then a program like FFMpegX can do the conversion after the iMovie export

OP
N
Reaction score
Which is the issue, I can't, I don't have the harddrive space for that. I tried encoding it in Sorasen (or something, whatever the codec in iMovie was called). It did make the movie 100 times smaller, but at a horrible unviewable quality price.

Then if it is not possible to export as Avi DivX, is there software I could install that can do that all at once? That is, record my video from my camcorder, and then export it in codec form?

Of course, on the long term, I'll try to find a better solution for this problem (add a Firewire slot to my own pc, for example, but financially that is not an option right now).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.