wait for next iteration of the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
I've decided to switch from a PC to a Mac. I was going to buy the new "Late 2008" Macbook but have read the reports of the problems with the notebook. Should I wait till they release the next iteration - hopefully sometime in April? Do they normally fix issues by the second iteration?

What do you guys suggest?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know of no issues with the current Macbook besides no more Firewire and trust me, I doubt Apple will ever put that back. Otherwise it's a solid machine. You will find people who will complain about any brand of computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I've got one of the new Unibody MacBooks and have had ZERO problems with it.

When you come to Internet Forums, you're obviously going to see a lot more negative press than positive. Happy people usually don't seek out online help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have one of each Late 2008 notebook: MBA, MBP & MB. All run just fine and are plenty fast and reliable. I had some graphics issues with 3 of the first batch of 2.4Ghz MBP's, but the issue has not been present in the last 2.53Ghz MBP Apple sent as a replacement. Buy what you like, but if you are productivity/casual/websurfing/emailing/CLI user like myself - quad cores and more RAM won't change your style too much (if that's what is in fact coming out next -who knows). Good luck and have fun!
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
but have read the reports of the problems with the notebook.

You will always read about problems with a product. Especially on the Internet. There was an axiom that said that one person with a bad experience would tell 20 people, with the Internet they're capable of telling millions. Now satisfied consumers rarely, if ever, tell others about their experience. Why would you when it works as expected? The reports you're talking about have not been at a level where I would believe it to be a pervasive problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
thanks!

thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll be ordering my macbook soon. i really wish they had the backlit keyboard on the base unibody version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
go with the 2.4 it is worth the money. I love mine.

Reaction score
I just switched from a Dell to a new MBP. I was very happy with how easy and quick it was to get it up and running on my network, recognize printers, etc. Also very impressed with vmware fusion to let me port the old laptop to run as an app without having to do anything to load windows OS or applications--this lets me use 3-4 files/applications that aren't mac-friendly.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
windows xp

I have a copy of windows xp sp1. Can I install this on the new macbook without any driver issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You need SP2 to install via Bootcamp. From what I understand, there are ways around that though.

Reaction score
I highly recommend waiting for a brighter keyboard.

thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll be ordering my macbook soon. i really wish they had the backlit keyboard on the base unibody version.

I have to have a LIGHT not a lamp on when Im using this in the evening. I have great eye sight I have no problem ever using my HP Pavillion without any source of light what so ever. I think they decided to put privacy keys and a glossy screen. Just my 2 cents It is an amazing operating system with more features than I will ever use. Shame the common sense dept @ apple had the design the keyboard day off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you really need a lighted keyboard? It can be nice at times, but i can type without looking and to be honest the lighting from the lcd is really more than sufficient.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you really need a lighted keyboard? It can be nice at times, but i can type without looking and to be honest the lighting from the lcd is really more than sufficient.

Typing in the dark is not exactly that great for your eyes. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

You won't understand until you have to use a non-backlit keyboard after getting used to one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
once u get used to a back-lit keyboard you will never ever want to use one without the backlit.it is so much better.i also do type without looking at the keyboard but still it is a good thing to have:)

Reaction score

So do you have the new aluminum Macbook? I asked about a dozen friends over the past 2 weeks while they were here what they thought of the keyboard not 1 of them found it remotely possible to type without a light on or by closing the the lap top 3/4 shut to shine the lcd directly over the keyboard but then you get nuckle smudges all over the screen and cant see while your typing. I would gladly pay the extra to upgrade to the pro if they would let me. I feel it has greatly depressed the excitment that my new mac originally brought me.
Is there a satisfaction guarantee available on these ? I bought it from future shop and they kinda laughed when I asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
i have the unibody mbp with a backlit keyboard and I think it definately is worth it, specially when it`s black and backlit ... amazing machine! ... i dont rly need to look at what im typing, coz i type fairly fast without seeing what i press ...

depends on what you need to type, special characters i mean ... for some ppl it may be frustrating to find a key and if u cant see it ;) ... not my case just to clearify :D
i switched over from a thinkpad which had a small led above the display to illuminate the keys and sometimes used it in the dark, u reeeeely get used to having your keys lit :)

anyway i also think is slightly beter value to get the backlit 13,3 2,4 Ghz, i think it also has a larger hdd ... just my opinion :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bought a macbook pro

bought a macbook pro but the previous generation (early 2008). Amazon had a deal on the 2.5Ghz, 512 MB Video RAM version. It cost 1649 - a little more than what the new unibody macbook with backlit keyboard would have cost me. I'm glad i bought this - I love the matte screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.