Apple care or no apple care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook
I have had my new aluminum macbook for about 2 months now and no apple care. With everything I buy, I treat with the most care but I have a problem trying to decide whether to get apple care or not. It is alot of money that I honestly do not want to spend. I would love some opinions on what you guys think about the investment and whether it is really needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
MacBook or MacBook Pro ~ Yes & Yes.
Desktops not so important.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros get a hard life how ever careful you are, Apple Care is a sensible option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Have a look on Ebay for Applecare. I got mine from there a lot cheaper than Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Give me a price you are willing to pay for AppleCare and I will give you a copy I have which I do not need (I have a MacBook Pro and someone bought me the MacBook version). Apple sells them for £195 and you can find them considerably cheaper on ebay so have a look around and then come to me with a price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I would definitely recommend the AppleCare. I have had things replaced under the plan which may or may not have been my fault *cough*. I have had issues with the superdrives, where they just stop being able to burn DVDs. I have no idea what the deal is. I did nothing to them. However, I accidentally had the computer drop from a height of about a foot onto a tile floor which totaled the HD, but there was no visible damage to the computer and they replaced that for me. My screen had become loose, so that it would shake a bit when I typed and they replaced that for me since tightening the screws didn't fix it. The wrist rest had become a TINY bit tarnished from the oils in my skin, and the replaced the topcover for me. They are awesome to work with and they take a great deal of pride in customer satisfaction. They want you to be happy with your ownership experience, and they go out of their way to keep you that way.

BTW, I'm on my third superdrive now. Has anyone else had issues with them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have had my new aluminum macbook for about 2 months now and no apple care. With everything I buy, I treat with the most care but I have a problem trying to decide whether to get apple care or not. It is alot of money that I honestly do not want to spend. I would love some opinions on what you guys think about the investment and whether it is really needed.

Search the forums please :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I vote no on pretty much any extended warranty. It's a roll of the dice. But, the dice are loaded in their favor, not yours.

Thundermoon, had issue with my drive recently. Took a can of air and shot 3 quick bursts in various directions into it. Been working fine since. Worth a try anyway. (Recommend pulling power and battery first.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
i got AppleCare on Amazon for a good price.

Reaction score
If you bought in on a credit card you might want to call them and see if they have an extended warranty program (free usually). I buy everything on my AMEX as it doubles my warranty (I pay it off each month so it's a financially prudent way to double warranties and get cash back). My Macbook Pro now has one year Apple warranty and an additional year of warranty from AMEX. Via and Mastercard do something similar.
https://www212.americanexpress.com/...ntsearchct=3|2011642557e31b0c08398b8fa153d019

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Extended warranties are usually not a good deal especially with a solid product such as an Apple. The problem is that parts for anything Apple are god-awful expensive. It is a machine; it will break sometime. With my first Apple PowerBook, I ran thru three mother boards at $1,500 each. No charge on Apple Care. You can wait 11 months and 29 days to buy it though. Save up your pennies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.2 core 2 duo,Macbook/iphone/ipod/apple Hi-Fi/MacBook Pro 13"/ipod nano/iPad 64 wifi/
I have owned three mac laptops and have had apple care on all of them. I also used it on all of them. None more that the macbook I have now. I have replaced the superdrive, track-pad, and the last one the bottom plastic case that cracked just under the hinge. Now apple usually does not cover plastics but with some phone work and some begging they covered it.

SO YES Apple Care

Reaction score
I bought Applecare on my previous laptop, a PowerBook G4.

About a year after I bought it my niece decided to push it off the kitchen table, putting a dent in the corner but otherwise it was fine.

I used the laptop day and night for another 1.5 years and then the hard-drive failed.. still 6 months to go on the Applecare.

Apple said they would replace it, I described to them over the phone that the laptop had a dent, I even sent them a photo. They said they would still replace the drive for free.

They then called me back 10 days later saying they could not replace the drive for free as the dent suggested it was my fault. So I replaced the drive myself instead.

Now I can kind of see their point, which is why I pointed it out myself first. So while I agree that applecare should be more important on a laptop due to their fragility.. if the number one reason you are likely to need help is due to the thing getting knocked about or dropped.. and Apple won't repair anything they see which could possibly be connected to that.. actually why is Applecare any more valid for a Laptop than a Desktop?

Reaction score
if the number one reason you are likely to need help is due to the thing getting knocked about or dropped.. and Apple won't repair anything they see which could possibly be connected to that.. actually why is Applecare any more valid for a Laptop than a Desktop?

Apple shouldn't be responsible for your careless way of treating your laptot, actually any warranty will cover that, except home inssurances or something like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I vote no on pretty much any extended warranty. It's a roll of the dice. But, the dice are loaded in their favor, not yours.

Thundermoon, had issue with my drive recently. Took a can of air and shot 3 quick bursts in various directions into it. Been working fine since. Worth a try anyway. (Recommend pulling power and battery first.)

Yeah I tried that, and it didn't help. I was sad...I don't like being without my Mac for 3-5 business days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
You can get Applecare 249.00 on Ebay for 150.00 at that price its a great investment.

Reaction score
You can get Applecare 249.00 on Ebay for 150.00 at that price its a great investment.

Try Overstock auctions or craiglist (it is much cheaper there).
applecare is worth every penny.

If you ever use it, I think you would be glad you did get one because repairs are so expensive. But if you never get to use it, then you would be glad you did not pay retail for it. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.