imac 24 inch.....whtie screen only...but get the "tone" after turn on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
hi!!!!

white screen ....but I get the musical tone during turn on.

any ideas?

no spinning wheelie or greyscale wheelie either

help?

al

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
and....it is a new mac, bought in april of 2008

it is totally stock, with no upgrades or updates whatsoever.

that is probably bad, right? maybe I should have done some updates.

so, it is running leopard, with 2 gig of memory (I think)

When I bought it, I got the most memory, fastest processor, and largest hard drive avail in a 24 inch iMac.

hope this helps, and thanks in advance to everyone who has an idea or two!

al

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac is still under warranty. I would take it on in to the nearest Apple Store and have them check it out. Call first and make an appointment.

If you would like to do some trouble shooting at home.... Boot the machine with your Leopard DVD disk 1. Cancel your way out of the install process and click on Disk Utility from the top menu. Do a verify of the hard drive and allow it to correct any errors it finds.

Also read this Apple KB article: Intel-based iMac: What to do if your computer won't turn on

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks.....I will try that and let you know if it works!

al

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried unplugging all usb cords and the power cord

left off for 5 minutes

no improvement

then....

pulled and reseated memory

no improvement

couldnt find my factory reboot apple disk that came with the system...so I couldnt reload leopard....

then...

took to the apple store, they diagnosed it....

said that the imac 24 inch machine could not see the hard disk, (so I cound not have reloaded leopard even if I found the reboot disks)

(when the white screen comes up, there is no spinning wheel, or any disk listed on the screen.....it just a totally blank white screen)

so, the apple guy said it was either a bad disk or a bad motherboard / logic board.

SO------

took the system to an authorized apple repair center...to recover my data, and to reapir the computer under mac warranty.

they say data recovery is not covered by apple, so.....

the repair center is going to diagnose the computer to see if the hard drive is bad.

TWO CHOICES____

ONE
if the hard drive is ok, I am going to just repair the system, and then BUY an external druve and then run the 24 hour backup program....to protect my data if this happens again.

TWO

if the hard drive is bad, I will have the service center clone the drive onto the new external hard drive I am buying...

so, will let you know what happens....

thanks for all your help!

big al

PS---hope the service center is honest about the drive being good or not......recovery of the data is over 200 dollars, and I will have no way of knowing if the drive is good or bad.

I have to take their word on it, if they say the hard drive is bad, I have no way of checking if what they are saying is true.

Do they have to give me back the old parts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The folks at Apple service are honest, and yes they'll give you back any parts that are NOT covered by warranty if you ask for them ahead of time. Parts that are covered by warranty are usually not returned although it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Lesson learned here? Make backups before they're needed. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Awful lot to be said for an external drive backed up at least weekly with SuperDuper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.