Need to disable sync on iPod Classic 160GB?

Reaction score
I, right now, own a Windows XP computer and I have my iPod set to "Manually manage music and videos" right now. I'm buying a MacBook very soon and I was wondering if once I plug it in it's going to automatically sync to the empty iTunes library and erase my iPod or is it going to be fine and it won't sync at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It should not sync because it's told to not sync with anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i would back up my music just in case. you can get music off your ipod using Ephod. (classic / legacy ipods only) you can right click music tracks and export them to any directory on your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No it won't. When you first plug it in the Mac will tell you that the iPod is synced to another Library and ask you if want to sync it to it's library. Click no and the iPod and it's contents will be fine. You can then associate the iPod with the new library by manually uploading music to it. I do this with my iPods and my iBook all the time (they are manually sync'd with my G5).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external
thats funny, whever i plug my shuffle into another mac, and hit cancel, it doesnt show the ipod anywhere that i can add more music to it. not that it matters. i've got my 45gb of music on my external, and whatever i want on my ipod, i copy to my powerbook music folder. copy instead of paste, and you never lose it, no matter what.

you should always back up your purchases/downloads somewhere else. then you have no worries if your mac goes down or the ipod for some reason DOES sync itself to another computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
thats funny, whever i plug my shuffle into another mac, and hit cancel, it doesnt show the ipod anywhere that i can add more music to it. not that it matters. i've got my 45gb of music on my external, and whatever i want on my ipod, i copy to my powerbook music folder. copy instead of paste, and you never lose it, no matter what.

you should always back up your purchases/downloads somewhere else. then you have no worries if your mac goes down or the ipod for some reason DOES sync itself to another computer.

Is your Shuffle set to Auto-Sync to any of your computers? My Gen 1 Shuffle is set to manual sync now, but when it is set to Auto-Sync it does as you described as well. I generally keep all of my iPods set to manual sync with few exceptions.

OP
L
Reaction score
No it won't. When you first plug it in the Mac will tell you that the iPod is synced to another Library and ask you if want to sync it to it's library. Click no and the iPod and it's contents will be fine. You can then associate the iPod with the new library by manually uploading music to it. I do this with my iPods and my iBook all the time (they are manually sync'd with my G5).

So even if I'm going from Windows to Mac that's not gonna matter at at all? I'm just scared it's NOT going to ask me and just delete all my songs. And I don't have any backups at all cause I just recently deleted my external hard drive, which had all my songs on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.