Where has the office programs gone?

• Thread starter Extra Terrestri
  • Start date
E

Extra Terrestri

The likes of the Apple programs to 'Word, Excel, Spreadsheet, Publisher' and so forth have gone after doing my frustrating Mac OS X download last night.

Where can I can find them, and most importantly, where are they normally on your Macs? What is the 'folder' called?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
open macintosh hd on the desktop, then open applications, inside is a folder calle microsoft office, the apps are in there.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Extra Terrestri said:
The likes of the Apple programs to 'Word, Excel, Spreadsheet, Publisher' and so forth have gone after doing my frustrating Mac OS X download last night.

Where can I can find them, and most importantly, where are they normally on your Macs? What is the 'folder' called?

Cheers.

If you've completely re-installed OS X on a clean disk then you will have to reinstall Office as well, you do have your Office install disk don't you?

Amen-Moses

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

Amen-Moses said:
If you've completely re-installed OS X on a clean disk then you will have to reinstall Office as well, you do have your Office install disk don't you?

Amen-Moses

Should the office disk come with the hardware itself or sold separately? I saw some icons earlier but couldn't access to them, but now they have disappeared altogether.

Does the Mac OS X (Disc 1 and 2) contain the Office programs or is it sold in a retailer separately? Is it the iWork or iLife software that contains the extras?

Or have I lost or haven't recieved my Office software when the iBook came?

Cheers, you are all big help.

open macintosh hd on the desktop, then open applications, inside is a folder calle microsoft office, the apps are in there.

Nope.

Not there.

Should the Office programs randomly be there in first place or on the Mac OS X disk? I'm beginning to get worried now...

:,- (

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

Oh, I quickly looked through the disk that I recieved with the iBook:

I got the following - Mac OS X disk 1 and disk 2. Extra Software and Applications and the Airport thing, which I haven't bothered about.

Anything missing people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok, as far as I can tell, you don't actually meen Microsoft Office, you mean Appleworks right? Because your iBook doesn't come with Microsoft Office included, it has something similar called appleworks.

To reinstall appleworks, go to 'Harddrive->Applications->Utilities->Software restore' and run that. You should be able to reinstall appleworks from there.

If you don't see the Software restore app, insert the 2nd disk and follow the instructions there.

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

Remember people, when it comes to computers/laptops it all seems like algebra to me. I'm simply hopeless.

I got a Mac to see if it does make your life simplier. It does for me, but the software and programs that I expect on a Mac isn't there, like Access, Excel, FrontPage, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word.

So, to re-confirm this fellow people - Appleworks IS the office-like program for Mac, right? Plus, should I expect these programs like Word, Excel and Publisher to be on the iBook or in a separate software package.

Thanks for making me look very stupid, in a good way.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M$ office is sold separately. and appleworks should be on that second disc.

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

This gets worst:

I look on the apple UK page on the iBook and look what I found that had me in tears.

iBook Software Collection
Every iBook comes loaded with top-notch software — including a free Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, AppleWorks 6 to keep you productive, and World Book Encyclopedia to tell you what you need to know about practically everything. And for those times when you just want to have fun, iBook also includes the ultimate prehistoric adventure, Nanosaur 2 and the addictive arcade action game, Marble Blast Gold.

Can anyone put any light on this matter? does anyone with a iBook have Office 2004 for it? Plus could you please answer the question on my last post.

I'm sorry for being a pain but this is the way I am with new technology that means bugger all to me.

:-(

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

Macman said:
M$ office is sold separately. and appleworks should be on that second disc.

Yup, I have that but my ideal concerns lie within the Office 2004 programs.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any software that came preinstalled, including the M$ office trial should be on the disc where appleworks is.its all either on disc 2, or that axtra software and apps disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I'm not sure if the info on apple's page is correct, because I received a slightly different package than the website said too.

But never mind:

You basically want to see what Microsoft office 2004 is like on your iBook right?

Well go to www.mactopia.com (which is microsofts mac site) and download the trial version of office 2004 there. (If you are on broadband that is)...

Sorry for making you look stupid, that wasn't/isn't my intention!!

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

You two Guys are Legends.

Wait till I get home from Sixth Form and see if I'll have a beaming smile on my face. I'll look on the AppleWorks folder and see if it is much use to me then perhaps hock up my modem in my iBook and download the trial version.

Thanks to Amen-Moses, MacMan and Aptmunich, you have been a great help and will look forward to more help from you in the future!

Give yourself a shiney.

:)

OP
E

Extra Terrestri

I know what the problem is:

I simply don't have AppleWorks. No Folder, I looked in Applications and nothing was there.

Do I re-start this bloody iBook again? Or concact Apple 'Help'line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
use the software restore disc to reinstall all that stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also, just so you're not disappointed, MS Office 2004 does not have Access, Publisher, or Frontpage (a tragedy of a program IMHO). There are no Mac versions of those programs. Also there is no Outlook, but it comes with Entourage which is similar.

What is it you need Office for? What programs do you use most? Appleworks may do it. But it's old and out dated. There is iWork which has a much updated word processor that is compatible with Word and Keynote for presentations.

Also, you can always buy Office 2004 and install it on your iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.