G5 Review from a newbie mac'ers point of view

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I come from a PC world. I worked at a computer store for about 2-3 years on nothing but PC's. So I learned their good and really bad points. But overall I would say that even to today I have no problems with PC's. So why did I make the switch?

I don't really know, I guess to just be different :D

But for the review.

The G5 is all out awesome, from when I was picking it up at the computer store, envy was all about me! About 3 of the computer salesmen where saying it just wasn't fair. This thing is a beast and it's well known and for good reason. The technology behind this thing is awesome! I can't wait for optimized software. The guy that worked for Apple was telling me about the 64-bit processor and that it's a quantum equation when it comes to the information it can handle.

32-bit 32,000,000 bits of information
64-bit 32x32,000,000

I think that's right...

Apple made things easy and they made it look good, the OSX.2.7 is great, it gives me that Linux/UNIX feel also from when i used to have Mandrake. It wasn't hard to get used the environment at all. And is by far better looking that the bland window interface.

Everything I have done so far with this computer was easy and fast. I found out how to backup a retail DVD. To decrypt the DVD it took about 28minutes and about 30minutes to process it. Then 30min to burn the DVD. I don't know if that's fast, but it seemed pretty quik to me.

I by far think the switch was the best ever, I love this mac!

I personally can not tell if someone else should switch from what they have to a G5 since this is my first mac I don't really know the speeds of the G4's, etc.. But I came from a 800MHz P3 and a 2.2GHz P4. And I think this is much faster than either of those. Since I don't have apple software of Photoshop and such the only way I could debate the speed between the two was WarCraft III. Installing and gameplay. I'll provide more comparisons as they come.

If anyone knows of a benchmark program I'll test this one and post the scores.

Thanks,

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wow that's really awesome to hear! Thanks for taking the time to post about this. I can't wait to read your further thoughts as you have more time to play :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
What about the size of it ? Is it really heavy? Does it run hot? Silent?

:)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Emrys said:
What about the size of it ? Is it really heavy? Does it run hot? Silent?

:)

The computer runs silent and is well vented, the entire front is nothing but a grill and if you look inside there's two fans in the front. Plus there's fans in the back, but you hear none of them. There is some hard-drive noise, but not a bothersome and not very load.

It's big and semi-heavy, the handles made it easy to move into my desk. But it fits perfectly in my desk, so I'm happy with the design.

sKaD

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was also worrying about weight. On one of the job sites I work at, they have sgi workstations. These workstations (Octane) seem like they weight about 75 lbs. These workstation are also running 64 bit mips chips.

I have seen the G5 in person, but it was bolted to the table. So I could not move it around, or even get the side panel off.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now if only I could afford one. But the house and the honey dos come first at this time. Man, that honey do list is so long. :(

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
rman said:
Now if only I could afford one. But the house and the honey dos come first at this time. Man, that honey do list is so long. :(

I got rid of the honey, as soon as the Twin G5 ships over here I'll report back. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have a client who is looking to purchase the dual G5 and possibly going to max out the ram.. so if he does this Ill give you the low down on how awesome it is! :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen-Moses said:
I got rid of the honey, as soon as the Twin G5 ships over here I'll report back. ;)

Amen-Moses
I can't get rid of the honey. Been married seven years now. Will have to figure out something else. :) lol

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Trade her for a G5?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
rman said:
I can't get rid of the honey. Been married seven years now. Will have to figure out something else. :) lol

Hey, I was married for 9 years, it's never too late. ;)

(actually if truth be know she divorced me but I wasn't complaining)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.