dvd drive problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, 733MHz, 512MB SDRAM
Right, basically I'm new to this forum and just joined in the hope of some help.

I'm currently using a PowerMac G4 which i bought off eBay a while back. When I bought my mac it had only a CD/CD-rw drive in it and would not play DVDs. I spoke to my big brother about upgrading to a DVD drive and he said that the people in the warehouse where he bought his mac said that a lot of the components in macs are the same as those used in PCs (eg. CD/ DVD drives, Ram, Hard drives etc.)

So I took my mac to the computer stall on the local market and got a DVD drive put in - only problem was - the guy who put it in doesn't know much about macs but said that if it was just as it would be for a PC then he could do it. I left it with him feeling confident as he has changed ram in my mac before and is a friend.

It was all working fine although now I've returned home and put in a DVD to attempt to convert it to go on my iPod it's coming up with an error.

SO if anyone could help me with this - it would be much appreciated.

I've used 'Grab' to show what it says when I insert a DVD/ the error.

Thanks a lot, Barney.

PS. I've tried 2 different DVDs so it's not the DVD

This one comes up first:
screencapture1.jpg

I click OK then this comes up:
screencapture2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What does Apple System Profiler say about this burner. if anything?

Best internal DVD are, imho, Pioneer. A Pioneer DVR-115D DL burner would be easy to install and you can get how-to's from xlr8yourmac.com, complete with photos. The Pioneer currently sells very cheaply for about $40.00. It will be recognised as native by your machine.

Who knows what DVD superdrive was installed? One thing the power leads are very difficult to remove and replace. Long nose pliers are required, grasping the whiote connector and not the wire, and jiggling to loosen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
didn't think of system profiler :p

right went on it and this came up
screencapture3systemprofiler.jpg

sorry for all the screen captures - I'm not very good at all at describing stuff

thanks a lot for the help btw ;)

and didn't understand this bit sorry :S - "Who knows what DVD superdrive was installed? One thing the power leads are very difficult to remove and replace. Long nose pliers are required, grasping the whiote connector and not the wire, and jiggling to loosen." - probably my lack of computer knowledge lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
have a look at Patch Burn, which may help your DVD drive to work a bit better with apple's software

Let us know if it helps

Patchburn Homepage

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have a look at Patch Burn, which may help your DVD drive to work a bit better with apple's software

Let us know if it helps

Patchburn Homepage

that won't work for me - it doesn't have it for leopard :(

Thanks a lot anyway ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe Lighscribe will be the go. Its specs call for X.3.9 and hiogher. Here is a link and the fact Profiler sees it is a great start, but have never heard of that brand:-

LightScribe - Downloads

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what off lightscribe need i download?

just there's a few different bits

btw i spoke to the guy who put it in for me he said try the program tht was recommended on here and if it didn't work then he'd try and get hold of tht pioneer drive tht was recommended

thanks again for the help ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.