External Hard Drive and Software

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering it if it possible to install applications on an external hard drive. I have a macbook pro and its hard drive is gettin pretty full. If I can install software does it have to be formatted to hfs+??

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Mac apps will run off a FAT32 disk (I just did it off my memory stick) but I would strongly recommend sticking to HFS for running mac apps

A better bet would be to store your iTunes library on an external

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook
Mac apps will run off a FAT32 disk (I just did it off my memory stick) but I would strongly recommend sticking to HFS for running mac apps

A better bet would be to store your iTunes library on an external

Storing your itunes library strictly on your external can be dangerous. I stored my entire library of music to save space and one day I dropped my external and it was all lost. Save yourself the aggrevation and simply back up your music. And for installing apps on an external that should be fine just may be a pain since to utilize the apps you will always have to be with your external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.