SuperDrive or Combo

V

vyxen

Just considering getting a Mac and want to know which is preferable. Any thoughts on the matter?? :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
depends on what you wanna do with it and your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, on a superdrive, you can burn cds and dvds, data, music, or video, on a combo drive, you can only read dvd discs and write cdr or rw's.

OP
V

vyxen

Macman said:
well, on a superdrive, you can burn cds and dvds, data, music, or video, on a combo drive, you can only read dvd discs and write cdr or rw's.

THANK YOU! Did you ever really just want a straight answer after trying to find it for ages and then someone just says it in on sentence! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool. BTW, you can play dvds and use dvd discs of all sorts on a superdrive, as well as burn dvd+r or dvd-r or rws, and cd-r or cd-rw.

OP
V

vyxen

Macman said:
cool. BTW, you can play dvds and use dvd discs of all sorts on a superdrive, as well as burn dvd+r or dvd-r or rws, and cd-r or cd-rw.

Thanks Macman! Well i'm on the lookout for as cheap a Mac as i can get away with (as i'm a student) and really only need it for coding. So i think i'll probably go with the Combo and wait until i make my first million to allow myself such "exotic" features as DVD-RW..he he

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you looking for a g4 or g5? and what sorta price range/specs? any specific models in mind?

OP
V

vyxen

Macman said:
are you looking for a g4 or g5? and what sorta price range/specs? any specific models in mind?

thinkin of the 14" G4, 256RAM, 60G hard drive. works out at around 1333, not bad

OP
T

titan0111

vyxen said:
thinkin of the 14" G4, 256RAM, 60G hard drive. works out at around 1333, not bad
256MB RAM? you need to get extra 512MB or 1GB (if you have money)...

OP
V

vyxen

titan0111 said:
256MB RAM? you need to get extra 512MB or 1GB (if you have money)...

really, 1G! well i'm guessing 512 is enough for my purposes, for the moment at least. Mainly academic, 4th year project really.

OP
T

titan0111

vyxen said:
really, 1G! well i'm guessing 512 is enough for my purposes, for the moment at least. Mainly academic, 4th year project really.
just get 256MB (whatever that comes with your iBook),

then get an extra 512MB from Crucial.com and install it yourself...

OP
V

vyxen

titan0111 said:
just get 256MB (whatever that comes with your iBook),

then get an extra 512MB from Crucial.com and install it yourself...

hmm..good plan, will go look it up! thanks!

OP
T

titan0111

vyxen said:
well gotta go, dialing from the ancient land of 56K rip-off!!
there is nothing wrong with using 56k...

I went from T3 to 56k user then to DSL...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vyxen said:
well gotta go, dialing from the ancient land of 56K rip-off!!
that blows, 56k, I can build imple websites as fast as itll load em. so you have no real preference as to processor speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not saying theres anything wrong with it,, it just seems slow, its been a long time since Ive had to use 56k. Im sorry if you were offended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually I use dsl and 56k and must say that apart from downloads and flash heavy sites, I'm not too bothered by 56k either...

A flatrate would be nice, but for the time being 56k still works out cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.